CHAPTER SEVEN

Dalton and I walk up to the concession stand, and I cram my hands in my pockets, trying not to drool over my favorite movie theater treats. Being my first date, I'm not sure how this all works, but I suppose I should play it safe and pretend like I'm a dainty eater.

A group of football players steps up to the line next to us, and Dalton shifts side to side, looking at anything but me. I swallow the lump in my throat and look down at my new Vans. I should have known that he'd be uncomfortable out in public with me. "I think I'll wait for you in the theater," I say, moving out of the line.

"No, don't go!" Dalton grabs my arm and pulls me next to him.

"You're looking a little uncomfortable, I just thought—"

"I am; I need to use the bathroom, but I don't want to leave you to buy our snacks. I want to buy them for you."

My neck practically snaps when I lift my gaze to his, and a giddy grin spreads across my face. "I'll get your snacks."

"You sure?"

"Yes!"

"Thank you! Get that combo with the large popcorn and the two large drinks. I also need some Sour Patch Kids and Reese's Pieces. You like the Red Vines, so grab those too." He shoves two twenties in my hands and calls over his shoulder, "I'll be back to help you carry everything."

"Done!" I reply with a playful salute, and just as he walks away, it's my turn to step forward.

I order the requested snacks and as I am attempting to carry it all over to the self-serve drink station, Dalton runs up to me and holds out his hands. "Wait, wait, let me help you!" he says, taking the tub of popcorn and candy. "If you want to get the drinks, I'll take a Cherry Coke."

I nod and fill his cup with the dark amber liquid and get my usual Diet Coke. "Ready?" I ask, grabbing two straws and motioning toward the right side of the theater.

"Let's go get scared. At least, it better be as scary as the books. Those drawings were horrific," he exclaims with a shudder.

"Definitely," I agree, the goofy grin still spread over my face.

But the smile slide from my lips when a group of girls exits the theater ahead of us.

Sierra and her friends.

"Great," I mutter under my breath, averting my gaze.

"What?" Dalton asks, cramming a handful of popcorn into his mouth.

"Sierra and the rest of the Perfs," I say.

Over the last few weeks, I've shared bits and pieces of the Sierra saga with Dalton, so his reaction isn't much more positive. "Just ignore them," he whispers.

"Hey, Dalton," the Perfs say together in sing-song voices.

But before they can finish their sickly sweet greeting, Dalton cuts them off. Lifting his elbow so I can slide one of my full hands through his arm, he says, "Hurry it up, cute stuff, our movie awaits."

The Perfs scoff and click their tongues, when we pass by, but it is their obnoxious laughter that rips through me. I grip Dalton's arm, hold my head high, and don't look back.

After the movie, Dalton parks his mom's Lexus along the curb in front of my house and pivots in his seat to face me. "I'm surprised the movie was that scary."

"Me too," I say, adrenaline rushing through me at the very thought of it.

"I especially liked when you got freaked out and almost jumped out of your seat."

"I'm glad my almost heart attack amused you."

He brushes his hair away from his forehead and looks out the window as he says, "I liked it because you grabbed my knee and gave me the perfect opportunity to hold your hand."

My stomach does twenty back handsprings and I curl my lips between my teeth to contain my elation. "Yeah, that was really nice."

"It was." He turns to face me again. "It's almost been the perfect date."

Wringing my hands in my lap, I whisper, "Almost?"

He leans across the middle console and moves his hand to the back of my neck. "I always picture the perfect date ending with an out-of-this-world kiss. Can I please kiss you, Maddie?"

I open my mouth to answer, but I lean forward, rest my palm on his cheek, and press my lips to his.

They feel the way I imagined—soft, plump, cool with spearmint. And absolutely sublime against mine.

I'm breathless when I move away, and Dalton says, "Now it's perfect."

I grin, letting my happiness shine to its fullest extent. "Beyond perfect."

"