CHAPTER TEN

"Dalton, for the love of all things holy, don't cough on me; I don't want your Corona!" Sunny playfully pushes her cousin.

He lets go of my hand and chases her down the hall. "Sunny, my germs need a new home."

"Boys naturally have cooties that ruin everything," she yells and laughs at the same time.

I'd find their banter funny if I didn't know just how dire our situation is about to be. Digging in the pocket of my backpack, I retrieve a small bottle of hand sanitizer and squirt it onto my palm.

"I see you are jumping on the sanitizing train. Smart," Matthew says.

"Here, just shut up and rub it in." I squeeze a drop into his hand.

It is difficult to keep my mouth shut and not tell everyone I care about what is coming. For the past six weeks, I've watched things escalated throughout the world. Talks of closures are underway and plans for Spring Break are about to fall flat. Still, I've remained silent for fear of appearing unwell.

"There's no way this is going to be as big of a deal as everyone is saying," Dalton says, walking back toward us after tormenting his cousin. "I think it's going to fizzle out, don't you?" he asks me, slipping his hand back into mine.

My heart sinks at the thought of what will happen in just under two weeks. We'll never return here. Dalton will never take my hand in front of Mr. Walrus's class before telling me goodbye, he won't meet me at my care after school, and our four-some will never roam these halls again. It's hard to hide this from Dalton. So many times, we've been sitting at each other's houses, watching TV or reading BuzzFeed when the virus is mentioned. And I've kept quiet.

I don't want to scare him or make him paranoid about the virus, so I say, "Yeah, definitely. It's not even in Tennessee yet."

"See Sunny, my germs are perfectly safe." To prove his point, Dalton gives me a quick kiss.

"Still slumming it, Gray?"

I turn around to find the Perfs staring at us. These three seriously have nothing better to do with their time than devote it all to me. Now that I think of it, they just might be my biggest fans.

"If by slumming it you mean spending time with my amazing girlfriend, then yeah, I'm totally slumming it."

My eyelids grow heavy as I drag my gaze over each of them. What is it they are hoping to accomplish? Do they really think they can shame Dalton into breaking up with me? And let's say they make it happen; do they believe any of them have a chance with him?

What a delusional existence they the live in. I almost feel sorry for them. Almost.

They've spent this entire year not changing, founding their worth within these walls and a status that will not transcend beyond the brick and mortar. In just weeks, they'll be stripped of the popularity they gained at Hillwood. None of them will be prom queen and flounce across the stage to the deafening sound of cheers. They will be left with just themselves stunted by their refusal to grow up.

While I have flourished and found comfort in my own skin, they have simmered in their insecurities.

"You don't have to explain us to them," I say to Dalton.

"Someone should; you with him is like the world's greatest mystery," Grace sneers.

I let go of Dalton's hand and face the Perfs. "I don't answer to you, Grace. My boyfriend doesn't answer to you. You can rest your pretty little head because it's none of your business. I'm done entertaining the three of you."

"What does that mean?" Chelsea asks.

"It means I'm done. I'm no longer sparing a thought for you." I take a moment to let my gaze linger on Sierra. It cut deep when she threw away our friendship for the two of them, but I can finally let her choice go and see it for what it was—another event that brought me to this moment...brought me to a place of respecting myself.

My head swims and my legs wobble. I take a step back and place my hand to my temple, the vein there throbs four times. And just as quickly as it came, the dizzy spell is gone.

The Perfs remain speechless as Dalton wraps his arm around my shoulders and says to them, "Isn't she phenomenal? It's easy to see why I love her so much."

I flash him a smile, bump him with my shoulder, and the two of us walk away from what used to be the Perfs.