XVIII. Superpowers

"Everyone has a gift; something extra special that they are really good at. However, finding that unique talent is not always easy. It took me years to figure out what I love to do, but when I did, it changed my life forever." Liz Faublas

----

XVIII. Superpowers

The rain had begun to sprinkle down as Noah and Sophie looked out over London from one of the pods.

Sophie had pointed out St James' Park that led toward Buckingham Palace. Noah was a right tourist as he stood up as close as he could get to the glass. As much as Sophie could have got lost in this moment, the slow spin of the wheel allowed her mind to wander, and of course it went to Maddie.

"I don't know how I'm going to tell her," Sophie admitted quietly.

Noah's head turned immediately, frowning. His expression told her that he knew exactly what she was talking about. "You tell her the truth," he advised. "She's smart, Sophie. She'll know if you're bullshitting her."

"But how can I tell her the truth? How can I tell her that something as simple as making a friend will be monumentally difficult for her?" Sophie's voice was so quiet that Noah had to lean in to hear her.

"She'll learn," Noah insisted. "Anything she can't do now, she'll learn. Besides, she does know how to connect with people ... people who are on her wavelength. I'd wager she hasn't been able to make friends in her class because all those other kids are ten times too dumb to hold Maddie's interest."

Sophie playfully slapped Noah's arm. "Stop it, that's cruel," she scolded, though she couldn't hide a burgeoning smile. As much as she wanted to believe that what Noah said was all true, Sophie knew it wasn't. Maddie needed to be taught to connect with her peers and continuing to see her psychologist would help her build skills to do that.

She did wonder, though, that if she met other children who were as intellectual as she was, would she have the same issue? She had managed to form a connection with Noah simply because they were both as bright as each other.

"You've got to keep seeing beyond the immediate future, though, Sophie. This next conversation that you have with Maddie won't be life defining. The kid's got a lot to do and being autistic is not going to hinder her."

Sophie's head went to seeing Maddie's name atop Noah's sheet music, written as one of the composers of the piece. God, she knew Noah was right. Maddie did have a lot to do in her life. It killed her that doubt kept creeping in.

"If I tell her today, would you be there?" Sophie asked, looking up at Noah, before immediately wishing that she had bitten her tongue. Oh dear, that was far too heavy. "Please do not feel put on the spot. I don't mean to pressure you or to make you feel uncomfortable."

Noah frowned again, this time with a curious grin on his face. "Should I be offended that the offer was all but rescinded as soon as it was made?" he asked. He snaked an arm around Sophie's waist, and he pulled her against him as they leant against the rail. "Of course, I want to be there," he told her sincerely.

***

Sophie was internally cringing as she entered the code to her block of flats and let Noah through the door. Every so often, the teenagers in one of the other flats would through a party and their friends would graffiti the walls with profanity and lewd pictures.

They were often cleaned, but when the light hit just so through the windows, you could see exactly what was there. Sophie walked Noah up the stairs to her flat and pulled out her key to unlock her door.

"It's not much," she said bashfully. "I rented this place when I first got a job at Pete's and it was all I could afford." It was all she could still barely afford.