XXXIX. Maestro

"I think music in itself is healing. It's an explosive expression of humanity. It's something we are all touched by. No matter what culture we're from, everyone loves music." Billy Joel

----

XXXIX. Maestro

May 30th

Five and a half months later

"Oh my Gosh, Sophie!" exclaimed Joy, as an envious groan escaped her throat. "Look at this master bath! Look at the tile! The bathtub ... oh, I always wanted a claw foot tub!" She panned the camera around the ensuite bathroom for Sophie to see, but the screen on her phone really didn't do it any justice.

Just like the dozen other houses she had shown Sophie on FaceTime this week, they all were enormous, luxurious, and ridiculously expensive. But just like London, prime real estate was worth a fortune in Los Angeles.

"And the closet is to die for!" she continued excitedly, bringing the camera into the walk-in-wardrobe which looked more like a high-end boutique then somewhere Sophie would store her jumpers and jeans.

Sophie had been very non-committal about making a decision on a place to live. It was very difficult choosing a home that she had never seen in person before. She really knew nothing about the neighbourhoods, and didn't really understand how the school districts worked and ... oh, who was she kidding? The price tags of these places were nauseating! Both Joy and Noah seemed to have no qualms with laying down a mid seven figure sum for a mansion in a gated LA community, but the idea made Sophie feel sea sick.

So much had happened since January and searching for a house was just the tip of the iceberg.

Beck had stayed true to his word, and the withdrawal of the C100 form made it simple for her criminal charge to be dismissed. Mediation was rendered unnecessary and Sophie received formal, full residential custody in writing that was completely iron clad, thanks to Olivia's thorough agreement.

Despite the fact that she didn't need to seek permission, she still informed Beck, through his parents, that she was moving to America with Maddie. Whatever bad blood, they were her grandparents, and were the only relatives she had known up until Noah's family had come stampeding into their lives. She had promised to fly back once a year to visit, which had been her intention anyway. You could take the girl out of London, but you couldn't take London out of the girl.

Noah had been discharged from hospital six days after admission. After a repeat CT to be sure, he was medically cleared, and his ICP wire was removed in the surgical theatre. He had wanted to stay in London, but it made sense to go home once he was able to fly to begin his physiotherapy. He went home just as soon as Sophie's case had been dismissed.

Tally and Vanessa had flown home earlier as Tally had needed to return to work, and Maddie poignantly informed Sophie that she was excited to see them again in America. Despite the fact that Sophie obviously wanted Maddie to bond with children her own age, the fact that her circle was widening was a win, and it warmed Sophie's heart.

Joy flew home with Noah nearly three weeks later, with Noah promising his mum that he would be okay at home, and she could definitely return home to Napa. Her fussing was driving him up the wall.

And life had returned to somewhat normal. Maddie went to school, and Sophie went to work. Maddie played on the piano whenever she was at Pete's, and she continued to achieve milestone after milestone in school.

But the moving date was approaching. Sophie and Maddie were booked on a flight in less than a week. Her intention had been for Maddie to see out the school year, but Sophie was pulling her out a few weeks early.