chapter thirty-six

C A L E B 

"What are you doing?" Mateo questioned, his voice raspy since he'd just woken up. I heard him walk into the kitchen, but my attention was elsewhere - the ramen I was preparing. So, I simply ignored him and continued working my magic. 

"Don't ignore me," he whined like a puppy, sauntering over behind me and peeking over my shoulder out of curiosity. 

I inhaled sharply, trying to ignore how close he was. I shifted my weight from side to side before saying, "Shh. I'm trying to do something here."

"I can see that," he commented. 

The room felt silent for a moment, before I suddenly hear shuffling from behind me and just like that - he had wrapped his arms around my waist and placed his chin on my shoulder. I nearly burnt myself on the stove from the sudden surprise, my eyes widening to the size of saucers. 

"H-Hey, what do you think you're doing?" I stammered, inwardly smacking myself on the head. I need to regain my composure and stop stuttering like an idiot around him if I didn't want him to find out that I secretly fancied him.

"Calm down," he chuckled lowly, his breath fanning against my neck which subsequently sent chills down the nape of my neck. "I'm just hugging you. Can't friends do that?"

Friends, right. That's what we were.

I ignored the stinging sensation in my heart at the title I'd been 'awarded' and tightened my grip around the spoon I was holding - which I found quite funny because just a few weeks prior, I'd been dying to get him to refer to me as his friend. But it was also quite unfunny considering the fact that a few weeks prior, I didn't have feelings for him - now I did.

"Of course I knew that, you loser imbecile," I let out before I could stop myself. I heard him scoff from behind me, but he didn't budge even after my mini verbal harassment. He simply let out a pleased hum and tightened his grip around me, nearly sucking all the air out of me.

"Get off, you have morning breath," I complained, attempting to pry his arms off of me with my free hand. "And don't you think you should go back to your place now?"

"I kind of want to spend some more time with you, if that's alright with you of course," he responded, poking my chin out of nowhere. 

"Don't touch me you perv," I complained, looking straight ahead so he couldn't see the blush that was threatening to form on my face.

"You're turning red," he noted. "Do you really want me to let go?"

"Yes," I huffed in response, clenching my jaw. "And I'm not turning red. You must have some issues with your eyesight."

"Is that so?" he challenged. "Look at me, then."

I gulped. I could already feel my cheek burning from both embarrassment of being caught, and from being so close to the stupid boy that I unfortunately had a crush on. Nonetheless, to avoid coming off as suspicious, I turned my head just a little bit so I was facing him. 

Big mistake.

It was then that I realized how close we really were. Right when I had turned my head to face him, he had lifted his chin just a little bit - and now our lips were both inches away from each other, breaths mixing in the frustrating space between us. Everything I was about to say quickly left my mind and I was stuck in that position, somewhat brain-dead. 

Thankfully, I didn't seem to be the only one affected by the situation. His eyes had gradually begun to widen and he opened his mouth to say something - but shut it right after, flustered. A crimson tint took its place on his cheeks and it seemed like he was transfixed in his position as well. 

"Caleb," he let out, his voice barely above a whisper. 

And then, he closed his eyes - and began to lean in, parting his lips ever so slightly. My heart had picked up its pace and I could hear his heart beating a thousand miles per minute. Even so, I didn't attempt to stop him. 

Just when there was barely a centimetre's gap between us, I dropped the spoon I had been holding and we both jumped back with a start. He quickly let go off me and stumbled back a few steps, halting when his back finally made contact with the counter behind him. 

He looked down at the floor and placed his hand on his forehead, as if he were questioning what he had just done. I, on the other hand, could barely even look at him. I quickly bent down to retrieve the spoon and went back to cooking in complete silence, not bothering to say anything to him or even attempt to clarify what had just happened between us.

"I-I'll get going," he said quietly.

I opened my mouth to respond, but by then he had already turned around and left my place, leaving me alone with my heart a mess, my mind cloudy, and my feelings all over the place.

What in the world had just happened?