Chapter 19

A/N: I'm not entirely pleased with how this chapter turned out, but I'm like a lot of you, and want to get back to Simon's POV soon, so I'm hoping this will suffice. To be completely honest, I don't really have much planned for each chapter at the moment except for big plot points since I didn't think I'd make it past chapter 18. Vince's chapters will be a bit random in my opinion since a lot more important things are happening in Simon's chapters anyways. 

Also, would you be interested in short spinoffs of other characters as well? I have quite a few ideas for one of my favorite couples, Dwaine and Grant; as well as some fluffy moments for Cedar and his mate :)

Regardless, hope you enjoy! Let me know what you think so far, I love reading comments.

Chapter 19

Vince's POV

I had the strangest dream that night. Or rather, the creepiest. Maybe it had been my subconscious or my drunken state from last night, but Simon had been there, along with Michael and most of the council. We were seated in the council room, Simon sitting beside me, where Sarah would sit during the meetings, and was trying desperately to keep up with whatever the betas were discussing. His features were blurred, but I could tell he seemed apprehensive sitting there. The council members seemed to mumble nonsense on and on as Michael sat across the room staring at me with a menacing glare.

Some people would consider this a lucid dream, with how real it felt. But for me, this was more like a nightmare.

I tried glaring back at Michael, then tried to focus on the other council members' faces, but they all seemed blurry. The only face that I could clearly see was Michael's. Even when Simon would turn his head to glance at me, his features were still fuzzy. Maybe it was because I really didn't see him clearly yesterday through my drunken haze, or because I had never been this close to him before, but it was quite unnerving to not be able to see someone clearly. It's like the feeling of taking off prescription glasses or putting someone else's prescription glasses on.

So I looked straight ahead at the only face I could actually see, my brother's. He didn't move, didn't even seem to blink or breathe, his eyes still focused on me.

I looked around as council members still blabbered on as if a regular meeting was happening as Michael and I just had a staredown. The room seemed to dim theatrically, as only Michael from across the room was illuminated, the rest of the council faded out of the picture. I looked around to see it was just the three of us. And then suddenly, I felt a cold hand on my forearm.

It was a tentative touch, first pulling away before firmly grabbing it again. Looking to my right was Simon, his features just slightly visible, a sense of worry and fear flashed across his face. Even this close, I couldn't quite see him clearly, but I could just sense the anxiety and fear roll off him. It was a cold feeling, enshrouding us both, almost suffocating us as the foreboding look on Michael's face towered over us.

And the longer I stared at Simon, his face became clearer. I couldn't look away, it was like someone had a firm grip on my head to keep me from moving. His cheekbones were jutted out, his cheeks sunken in. Dark bags rested heavily under his eyes, tear-stains on both sides of his pale skin. His hair was as disheveled as last night, the same stained clothes he wore when I ran into him. Looking down at the frail and gentle hand on my arm had been even more harrowing. Calloused and raised scars scattered around his arms, both fresh and old. Bruises that stuck out like a sore thumb littered his arm, even up to his shirt sleeve, more donning his neck, one near his temple. Had he always been this thin?

It was like looking at one of those SPCA commercials, his eyes glazing over as if more tears were sure to spill. He didn't say anything, but just the look on his face alone spoke volumes. He was absolutely terrified. And who wouldn't with Michael across the room.