Interlude

'Amr ibn Sallam panted as he jolted to a stop, half-crouching, shrouded by a dense grove of palm trees. He slunk behind one trunk, observing the pursuit in the distance that was almost at an end.

Other than the yelling and shouting of his fellow enforcers of the law, there was no sound but the racing of his own heart and the ragged breathing born out of an extended chase.

Their target, the murderer who sought to evade capture by fleeing Madinah, was in full sight now. 'Ali ibn Abu Taleb, the most pious man in all of the Caliphate, the cousin and son in law of the Prophet himself, had devoted his life to the jurisprudence of Islam. 'Ali himself was a judiciary advisor, sometimes acting as the main judge in his own capacity. It was also seen fit for him to recommend men to the policing force of the city.

Men that included 'Amr ibn Sallam himself, who had been in charge of this particular investigation. 'Amr puffed with pride, remembering that it was he who discovered that this criminal, who had murdered his own parents, was planning on stealing away in the dead of night, to be disguised in a procession of camels.

But that was not to be. The sun had not yet set, and the criminal was making a last-ditch attempt to flee the city on foot, harried by a force of six good Muslims all the while.

The man's footsteps were drawing closer. He was in full sight.

'Amr counted three heartbeats, steadying his breath.

One.

Two.

Three!

With a fury, 'Amr pounced from his hiding spot at the opportune moment the murderer was passing by his tree trunk. 'Amr absorbed the impact as he tackled the man to the ground. Within moments, 'Amr rolled himself straight, placing a knee on the defeated man's chest, a dagger to his throat.

Al-Hasan ibn 'Ali, the eldest son of 'Ali and the grandson of the Prophet, panted to a halt. He smiled brilliantly, bending over with his hands on his knees.

"Good work," al-Hasan complimented him.

***

"Adequate work," was all Marwan ibn al-Hakam had to say to him when he returned to the Khalifa's home.

Marwan, the Khalifa's right-hand man, cousin and secretary, did not deign to even look 'Amr in the eyes. With lips tight in a thin line, Marwan snatched the sack of coin from 'Amr.

"The money belonged to the murderer," 'Amr informed Marwan.

"I see," Marwan nodded.

"I would speak with the Khalifa in order to resolve the matter of its distribution," 'Amr spoke curtly. "As well as the fate of this man."

Marwan grunted, sparing 'Amr the slightest of glances. "The Khalifa is a busy man. And yours is not to issue a verdict. Yours was to capture. You will be amply rewarded."

"The reward I seek is the pleasure of Allah," 'Amr responded. "And I cannot garner that without expressing my desire to the Khalifa for this money to be distributed among the Muslim poor."

Marwan set his jaw and finally raised his head to meet 'Amr's eyes. There was no mirth to them.

"The Khalifa will not receive you," Marwan spoke in a tone that invited no further conversation. "I will act on the Khalifa's will. The man will be given a fair trial. And this money, I will do with it as the Khalifa sees fit."

Marwan quickly spun on his heels and disappeared behind a door before 'Amr could open his mouth.

The Khalifa's will, 'Amr scoffed. More like Marwan's will.

The Khalifa ought to be 'Ali, anyway. What good was a Khalifa if he delegated so much power to his subordinates? Why were so many of them kinsmen anyway?

It grated 'Amr's gears seeing a man unfit as 'Uthman as Commander of the Believers. He knew it was a position worthy only of 'Ali, the man with the best interests of the ummah at heart.

Not this old, senile man that was so easily corrupted.

'Uthman had been born a rich man, to a wealthy clan. He was a merchant by trade, a man of privilege all his life. What did he know of the people's struggles? What did he know of rule? What did he know of piety?

And now he dared install his own brothers and sons and cousins in high ranking places as to quell any opposition? Or was it to increase Banu Umayya's own influence?

'Amr stalked out of the Khalifa's home, fuming and insulted. 'Amr barely interacted with the Khalifa anymore. It was that vile snake Marwan ibn al-Hakam that received any petitioners as of late.

It's all going to change, 'Amr promised himself behind ground teeth. It's all going to change when 'Ali is Khalifa.

As God and his messenger willed it.