Interlude

The door to the governor of Egypt's chamber creaked open. On instinct, Ruqayya tensed, fumbling subtly for the dagger she hid near her chest beneath her clothing.

Muhammad ibn Abu Hudhayfa, the governor's second in command, jumped at the intrusion as well. But then again, he was a timid man, and quick to fright.

Ruqayya relaxed as the visitor heralded himself to be none other than ibn Abu Bakr, one of the chief military figures in al-Fustat – the administrative capital of this Egyptian province.

Her arm fell to her side once more and her beating heart steadied. One could not be too careful. And besides, who barges in to the governor's abode in the dead of night? The governor himself never stepped foot in it.

"As-salamu 'alaykum, son of Abu Hudhayfa," the newcomer greeted the man hunched over a parchment.

"What is that you want, son of Abu Bakr?"

Ibn Abu Bakr smirked beneath his bushy beard, snatching a quick glimpse at the parchment in the other man's hand.

"What are you doing here?" ibn Abu Hudhayfa demanded of him again, in a firmer tone this time. "It is not proper for you to barge in here unannounced."

Ibn Abu Bakr did not respond immediately.

"You still think the governor can be saved?" was what he casually asked when he did, his hands clasped behind his back.

"Stop," ibn Abu Hudhayfa demanded of the larger man. "Stop your relentless speech of dissent and treason. What is your end game here? What is the purpose of this? Two men enjoying a leisurely conversation through al-Fustat, speaking of dissent?"

"You think a man can be saved from bottomless avarice of wealth and power?" ibn Abu Bakr continued.

"Stop talking, son of Abu Bakr."

"You think a man can be cured of impiety that runs deep through his veins?"

"You do not know what you accuse this man of. 'And you think it insignificant when it is to Allah, tremendous'" the governor's second in command jabbed back.

I should not be eavesdropping, I should not be eavesdropping. The good Christian girl in her was gnawing at her conscience but her love for intrigue and gossip buried any potential piety deep within.

"You keep reciting your verses and boasting of your piety, yet you are content to call a man of tyranny and corruption your lord and master," ibn Abu Bakr, the military man, responded.

"There is no master but Allah," ibn Abu Hudhayfa reminded the other.

"It is a good idea in theory, yet it is not one you implement."

"What would you have me do? Storm ibn Abu Sarh's home and put him to the sword? Would that please Allah, in your mind?"

Ibn Abu Bakr halted abruptly. The taller man looked down on ibn Abu Hudhayfa with a stern look.

"I would not have you groveling to him at every turn. I know you are doing what you think is right in your heart of hearts. You are a good man, sire, and that is what I admire about you. You are a man of Allah, as 'Uthman taught you. But do you really think this malfeasance is what Allah wants? Do you think the Prophet, prayers and peace be upon him, would approve of this, were he alive?"

"I'm trying," ibn Abu Hudhayfa's shoulders slumped.

"You've been trying for years!" ibn Abu Bakr raised his voice. "You've been trying to talk him out of his folly with soft words and pretty verses from a book he does not believe in."