stargazing; e.d ⁂

"ethan?" you whisper into the reciever after hearing static over the line along with a bit of shuffling.

"you're inturrupting my beauty sleep," he finally mumbled back, his words slurring together sleepily. even though it was so late, he still managed to obtain his humor.

he rolled over so he can peer out of the window next to his bed, and just like he expected, there you were, standing in front of your own window accross the street looking right into his.

"puppy print pajama pants...cute."

his comment made your cheeks flush, though you knew he was only joking.

moonlight was filtering through his window, making it so you could easily see his hair was in haphazard wisps, "your bed head is even cuter," you retort, and he chuckled softly.

seeing as though your words were said in a teasing manner, you sort of meant them. ethan didn't have to know that though.

you heart fluttered at the sight of him. he was laying on his stomach, propping himself up on his elbows and you could see his bare shoulders peeking out from under his covers. his face was slightly puffy with sleep, and even though he did in fact have an epic case of bed head, it was cute.

"why're you still awake?" he wondered when he noticed you had gone silent.

he watched you shrug and start pacing around your room, "i dunno," you sighed; it was partially a lie, "i'm bored, though. you should come over."

"y/n," he groaned, drawing out the end of your name, "you woke me up to tell me to come over?"

"oh c'mon, e. we can sit on my roof and look at the stars like we did when we were kids!" your face brightened, and ethan's chest swelled at your excitement.

he shook his head amusingly, "i'm on my way, but turn around or something so i can put clothes on.

you shot him a funny look that he didn't catch because he was leaning over to turn his lamp on.

"you sleep naked? weirdo."

he ran his free hand through his messy hair, "i've got boxers on, weirdo," he mocked jokingly, "seriously though, i don't want you watching me put my pants on."

"i'm not looking, jesus." you laughed softly, turning your head away from the window.

you hear shuffling for a few moments while he's getting out of bed and probably finding some pants in a pile on his floor as he usually would.

"okay, you're all good." he said, and when you looked up, he was leaning against the frame of his window.

"the back door is unlocked."

his lips pressed together picking up on the slight change in your tone, but he pushed the worry away. if something were wrong, you would have told him already, right?

you both said a short goodbye amd hung up the phone knowing you would see eachother again in no less than two minutes. you even stood at your windowsill and watched him cautiously pull his front door shut before he darted across the street.

your heart pumped quickly as it often did merely thinking about him, but he was your best friend and really it scared you knowing how easily he could make your stomach swarm with butterflies.

you frowned and turned away from the window, plopping down on your bed and staring at your ceiling. soon your bedroom door inched open and ethan poked his head in. you hadn't even heard him come up the stairs, let alone slide open the rather creaky door downstairs.