Chapter 1: The Clearing

Hello my guys! This is my first story on Wattpad! Hopefully, you can't tell :) Comments and critiques are much appreciated, be warned I am prone to crying so go easy. Don't be dissuaded by the low chapter count! Many more to come! P.S Oodles of romance and good stuff in the future, bare with the first few chapters!
I know it's a slow start but please give it a chance.

Thank you for reading!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mom would be angry. But that is only if she found out, Right?

I look up at the sky and pick up my pace. Mom wanted me back to the warren for lunch.

I tense up and my eyes flit from side to side, don't tell Percy but I was a teensy weensy itty bitty bit scared. Leaving the prairie was a big deal. The prairie was calm. The prairie was safe.

I breathe in deeply and cross the border.

The prairie was boring.

The woods engulf me. I shiver as the long grass turns into damp forest ground, my bare toes flex into the leaf litter. I was suppose to wear shoes, but they pinched my feet.  Besides I like making footprints, they look funny.

 Blair told me all I had to do was follow the river to reach their secret spot. If it was that easy to get to, how was it secret? Wolves were funny that way. Confident no one would disturb their territory without permission. Predators were always confident. They had the right to be.

I watch as the water next to me slides over and around a few large rocks lying in the riverbed. I'm reminded of Percy. Percy is an otter Shifter. Percy is my best friend. Percy is who momma thought I was playing with. I made Percy pinkie and paw promise not to tell what I was going to do today.

I didn't like lying to my mom. It made my tummy feel squished, and my heart fast. I wanted to tell her but I know she would have said no. She didn't understand why I was so fascinated with Lupine shifters.

My parents helped do council work for the Prairie, trying their best to help create good relationships between us and the forest dwellers. (That was Prairie slang for predators.) Mom believed in being kind and generous to everyone.

That's why the amount of fury in her voice when I asked if I could play with the wolfen ambassadors' daughters again after they left the yearly negotiations shocked me. It was the first time I had ever played with a wolf, and my mom swore to me it would be the last. Her eyes were wide and frantic as she grabbed my shoulders and told me a Rabbit never sought out the company of wolves. Association with predators was a risk that seldom had a reward.

Blair and Norah were so nice to me. They even let me touch the fur on their shifted forms. My mom was wrong. She wasn't being fair.

....

I stumble over a twig and fall. The skin on my hands and knees begin to sting and prickle up blood.

Mom said rabbits were fragile so we would act smarter than other shifters. It just made me feel pathetic. I wanted to start crying.

"Nice moves there, Cottontail."

I look up and see Blair leaning up against a tree, her voice is husky and her laugh sounds like barking. I like it.

I scrabble up to my feet furiously wiping at my eyes. I look around taking some time to compose myself, no one wanted to hang out with a whiny kit. I was friends with wolves now. I was cool.