Off (George O'Malley x OC)

You could tell that something had been bothering George for some time now

You could tell that something had been bothering George for some time now. You could see it while you were at the hospital, at home or spending time with your friends.

You were sitting next to George in the gallery when you decided that enough.

"George," you said to get his attention.

"Yeah?" was his response.

"Can we talk? I want to know what's going on with you?"

With out looking at you George shook his head. "Nothing's going on."

"Please stop lying, I can see that something is bothering you. I want to help, I want to support you, but I don't know how. I need you to tell me." You rose from your chair and crouched down in front of him. "Has something happened? Have I done something?"

At that his head rose and he looked into your eyes. "It's not you... Well not just you."

You weren't sure what he meant, but you let him continue. He was struggling to find the right words.

"It's us. I'm not sure when it happened, but I feel trapped. I care for you, I do, but it's like we're on a train and it's going 200 miles per hour and it would be so nice to just get off. Everything that has happened between us has happened so fast. It's amazing, truly I didn't think that I could find someone like you, but I need time for me, time for work. I need time and space to think."

At that point you had fallen on your knees, eyes filled with unshed tears. You could feel your heart breaking. It was worse than you had thought. He tried his best to not break your heart, but there was no stopping it.

"I'm guessing that means we are taking a break?" you ask as you stand up and let a tear fall down your face.

George just stays quiet.

"Alright," you sigh out. "I'll find a place to stay for now." You start walking away from him. You stop at the door. "I'm sorry I made you feel trapped, I wish you would have talked to me earlier. I never... I just...I love you and I'm sorry."

With that you left the gallery to pack up your things for the day and to find a new place where to stay for the night, because the thought of spending the night in the same house as George hurt just too much.

There was no telling if this was the end of your relationship or just another bump in the road, that in the end would make the two of you stronger.