Chapter 13 - Meet Me Halfway

CHAPTER 13 - MEET ME HALFWAY

The Training Room

Hades' Palace

The Underworld

-Hades-

It's been a long time since I've last been in this room.

My eyes scanned the rows upon rows of weapons that were stacked on the wall. They were filled with dust from all those years they lay unused. Shrugging off my shirt, I reached for the nearest sword. With a wave of my hand, all the dust was cleared.

I crouched and placed my hand against the floor. I released my power and watched as the shades I summoned materialized before me. Today, I needed to clear my mind from all the anger and frustration. I let my anger get the best of me and I showed that side to my queen during our first meal together.

I'm known to have a temper but I should not have shown that side to her. It was unacceptable for me to have treated her like that. Seeing her running away from me broke something inside me.

"Begin!" I shouted. Immediately, the shades changed from a waiting stance to one of battle.

Whenever I need to fight or train, I summoned shades to help me. They gain a little pardon or a little reprieve from their punishments when they serve me like this. They wanted this so that they could gain enough credits to set foot in Elysium and gain the afterlife they wanted. Some of them had loved ones there. Others just wanted a better afterlife.

I raised my sword and they did the same. I crouched and then quickly ran towards the center of the room, hacking down shades as I go. Whenever they crowded me, I din a spinning kick that sent them backwards. Then I continued to parry and land some blows.

At one point, I felt a stinging pain in my shoulder as one blade nicked my arm.

Golden blood, Ichor: the blood of the immortals flowed down my arm. I looked at the wound and watched as it slowly knit together and healed instantly. I smiled and resumed fighting. My entire body came alive as I held my sword and fought my way through these skilled warriors. It doesn't hurt them when my sword goes through them. They turn to dust for a while and then reform a few seconds later.

Well, you can't really kill someone who's already dead. This is also why I have the most powerful army of all.

Time flew by as I fought. And while I did, my mind was empty of everything else... except her.

I waited for a thousand years to be with someone who was destined for me. I waited a long time to find someone I could call queen and rule by my side. Why was the one destined for me someone who didn't like me? It's been said for millennia that when you find your fated love, it's unlike any other. It would just feel right like all the puzzle pieces finally fitting together.

I felt that but why didn't she?

Also, what have I done wrong to deserve this punishment from the Fates? I stayed here in my realm doing everything a king needed to do. I went to Olympus when they held a counsel and I gave my advice. I never tricked anybody; never broke rules. But why am I given a bride who will only be miserable with me?

Was being with me so horrible an idea? All I ever wanted was to end this loneliness and finally have a companion.

I flinched in pain when a shade's sword went through my gut. With a roar, I pulled the sword free and used it to separate his head from its body. I stepped back and waited for the wound to heal, at the same time, cursing myself for the distraction.