Chapter 13

Alex was avoiding her. While they formerly weren't the best of friends, it didn't change the fact that it was too obvious to be ignored. He avoided talking to her as frequently as he could and even when they did talk, he did so in monosyllables and gave only short answers when she asked him questions. Sophie knew she wasn't supposed to be that bothered seeing as she was supposed to be focused on getting rid of whatever feelings she had for him but she realized she preferred being able to talk to him than not. She was currently on the phone with Ama, ranting about it.

    "...I mean, I get that he wasn't happy talking about his wife but he could have told me so instead of giving me the cold shoulder afterwards. I mean seriously, whoever does that?"

    Ama groaned, thinking of ways to murder her friend through the phone. "You're calling me about this again? Sophie, it's the fifth time in three days! Aren't you tired already? I know I already am."

    "What kind of a friend are you if you can't lend me listening ears when I need them the most in my life?" She accused her friend, crossing an arm over her chest and pouting childishly even though her friend obviously couldn't see her.

    "A friend who is seriously very annoyed," Ama shot back, unapologetic. "I was very busy before you called, Soph. Plus, you've called me about this same thing four times already and my reply has always been the same. Talk to him about it if it bothers you that much!"

    Sophie held her phone away from her ears at the sound of her friend yelling. "And say what, Ama? What would I say?"

    "I don't know, okay? We both already know why it bothers you so much but your problem is that you haven't even figured out what you want yet and that's why you don't know what to do but I say if you think you actually want this guy, then grow a pair of balls and confront him. Alright? If not, then maybe things are better the way they are now."

    Sophie chewed on her bottom lip as she thought about what her friend had said. Did she want Alex? She really didn't know.

    "Thanks, Ama. You are the be--"

    "Hey, Ama. What do you think- oh, you're on the phone?"

    Sophie's mouth curled into a devilish smirk as she recognized that voice. Teasing her friend, she said, "Ahhhhh, was that Daniel's voice I just heard? So he's the reason you are so very busy that you're ignoring your best friend when she needs you the most?"

    Sophie was replied with silence as Ama ended the call. She burst out laughing, imagining the look on her friend's face at that moment.

    As if on cue, the phone started ringing and for a moment, she thought it was Ama calling back but when she checked, Raymond's name flashed on the screen. She stared at it, hesitant to pick for some reason. It stopped ringing then almost immediately started ringing again. Sighing, she picked up.

    "Hello?"

   His cheery voice replied immediately, "Sophie, Hi! I was afraid it'd go to voicemail again. You didn't pick up the first time."

    "Yeah. Sorry about that, Ray. I was uhm...I was kinda busy." She winced at the lie.

    "Oh, it's fine, I'm talking to you now. How are you doing? It's been a while since we talked. Hope Alex and Angel aren't stressing you out?"

    If only he knew. "No, they're not. Angel has been really sweet and Alex... He's fine too. There are no problems so far."

    She could almost see him grinning. "That's good to hear. I must say, I miss you Sophie."