Chapter 19

The sound of the door slamming announced the arrival of Angel, who bounded into the kitchen, wearing a million dollar smile.

    "Good afternoon, aunt Sophie," she greeted, throwing her arms around Sophie.

    Smiling, Sophie returned the hug. "Good afternoon, my love. How was school today?"

    "Let's just say I'm glad to be back home, as usual," she replied, propelling herself up on the counter. "Making dinner?"

    Sophie nodded, moving to check the food on fire.

    "Need help?" Angel asked.

    Sophie shook her head, casting her a side glance. "Aren't you tired?"

    Angel shrugged, her brilliant smile still plastered on her face. "Not really."

    Sophie's eyes narrowed suspiciously as she really took in Angel's too bright demeanor. "You're being weird, what's going on? Did you do something bad?"

    "What?" Angel laughed as she jumped down, shaking her head amusedly at Sophie. "I'm just going to go upstairs and take care of my homework instead since you're refusing my very thoughtful offer to help."

    Sophie didn't get a chance to reply as Alex wheeled into the kitchen at that moment.

   "Hey, Sunshine."

    "Hi, dad." Angel burst into another round of laughter, earning a puzzled look from Alex.

    "Ookay, did I say something funny?" He asked, the corner of his lips tugged up in a smile.

    Angel gave both of them a knowing look, like she knew something they didn't before winking. She actually winked at them, still in a fit of laughter before walking out of the kitchen.

    "I'll be in my room. Call me when dinner is ready!" She called back at them as she disappeared from sight.

    Alex still wore a puzzled look as he turned to Sophie. "Am I missing anything here?"

    Sophie shrugged in response, focusing her attention back to the task at hand.

    "Need help?"

    She let out a chuckle. "What's with father and daughter offering to assist me today? Do you even know how to cook?"

    His eyes widened dramatically as he placed a hand on his chest in a gesture of mock offence.

    She laughed out loud at that. She had only been teasing him, she knew very well he could cook. After all, he'd kind of cooked for her before.

    She turned to him to find him staring at her, as if mesmerized. His eyes were slightly hooded and they were staring right into hers with an intensity that left her breathless.

    "You're really beautiful."

    She felt her face grow hot as the room suddenly seemed to increase in temperature. She looked away quickly and awkwardly cleared her throat, trying to find her voice. "Uh- thanks. I don't really need help. I'm almost done as it is."

    She could feel his burning gaze on her but she refused to turn to look at him. Just one compliment and she was trying really hard to correct her breathing and calm her heart rate. This man was really really bad for her health.

    "Alright then."

    She still didn't turn to him as she felt him wheel out of the kitchen.

*     *     *
    "That was delicious!" Angel exclaimed, patting her obviously bloated belly.

    Sophie smiled, the satisfaction and pride she always felt when anyone complimented her cooking washing over her. "I'm glad you enjoyed it."