CHAPTER FIVE

THE TRIAL

It was almost time. An auror had come in an hour before....she could hear them preparing to transfer her into Courtroom Ten...

Her conviction was inevitable, she knew. Necromancy was the most feared form of magic in all the wizarding world and anyone accused of it was immediately executed, sometimes not even tried. She remembered all the histories and the stories Dumbledore had her read about Necromancy through the ages. Most of it was just silly myths and legends, but so many believed in the tales that they could not be persuaded otherwise.

All wizards believe that Necromancy is an art only the darkest of wizards dare conjure and successfully master. And, due to this wrong belief, innocent men and women with Cecelia's abilities were forced to walk into the veil.

Dumbledore had said it was 'fear' that drove the wizarding community to these medieval practices. But, one thing could not be debated; having any kind of ability to bring back the dead would spark the scary theory that the darkest and evilest of all wizards, that had already once been defeated, could return.

And that was Cecelia's deepest fear.

With every hour that passed, with these gut-wrenching thoughts whirling in her head, the holding cell appeared to be shrinking around Cecelia. She was afraid to move or to dream for fear Death would return with another will. She could feel that something horrible was happening in the world. She could feel it stirring, like a beast needing to feed. It quivered in the ground beneath her.

She didn't know what it was or who it might be, but it was coming straight for her - or worse, for Harry. She feared for her godson. He'd always been the target of evil and she feared what would happen if that same evil returned. The idea that she could resurrect Voldemort had seeped deep into her brain and began hatching the reality of her situation.

There was no point for her to be alive anymore. Her godson was safe – except, of course, for the fact that Bellatrix was running wild in the streets. But, Cecelia had faith that Harry could handle himself against the likes of someone like Bellatrix. He had before.

The Dark Lord was gone...

...but if she remains alive, there was no guarantee that He would stay dead and arise again even more powerful than he was before. And if she were to bring him back; she couldn't imagine living in a world where there was no escaping the devil.

The decision was so simple.

She was never one for lies, but in that moment, as she heard the aurors entering the holding cell chamber, she made her decision. She would confess just enough to ensure her execution, but no more to hurt Harry. Maybe twist a few things to really bring the point across that she was dangerous.

It was the only solution she could conclude.

She must die.

The last comforting thought she conjured, just before the aurors started to escort her from her cell, was the hope she would soon be reunited with all those she'd lost. It was the hope of seeing Sirius's face again that made her heart just a little bit braver.

With that small assurance, she closed her eyes and felt her body loosen. And with her newfound courage, she held her head up high and was ready to die.

-

Harry Potter and Ron Weasley had been positioned outside the doors of the courtroom. Ron was too anxious to stand still. "A necromancer? Do you really think Voldemort's allies are moving? First trolls, giants, and now this?" Ron asked Harry under his breath.