Chapter Twelve

Florence found herself in the Maze, her hearing and vision blurred just by a smidge, almost unnoticeable. There was an eerie feel about the particular corridor she found herself in, it was nowhere she had seen before, and she was alone.

Glancing around, she saw no ivy patches on the walls, and then she realised that there were no actual ends to the corridors. It was like someone had placed two dead ends at either end of the corridor.

She began to hyperventilate, her chest rising and falling much quicker than usual, feeling her heart pounding in her throat.

"Florence? What are you doing?" An echoing voice rang through her ears and she spun on her heel, finding Minho stood only five feet away, staring at her.

"What? What do you mean?" Her own voice didn't sound like her and echoed out against the concrete walls as she questioned him.

Taking a step towards him, she noticed his eyes were blank and unblinking, and his mouth was set in a firm line. He didn't look like himself. He looked like an empty shell of himself.

"Why aren't you running?"

She felt the hairs on the back of her neck stand up, and goose-bumps appeared on her arms. Minho's voice was cold, and there was no emotion to it. It scared her.

"Wh-why would I need to run?"

Minho's lips had set again into a firm line. He made no impression of going to speak again, and Florence found herself backing away from the boy.

He was freaking her out badly.

She cast a glance behind her, to where she had noticed a corner to a corridor that definitely wasn't there when she first looked around.

"Minho-"

Her voice was interrupted by a chilling shriek. A Griever. Silence fell, and then after a beat of quiet, there was a clicking sound.

The clicking sound only became louder, creeping closer, and Florence found herself frozen into place. Why couldn't she move?

From around the corner, an arm first appeared. Not a normal arm, obviously. The metallic blade wielding spike was what came first, and then the rest followed along with the bulbous body of the Griever.

"Why aren't you running?"

Minho's words were directly in her ear, even though the boy himself was across the corridor.

The Griever picked up its speed, clacking towards the girl trembling in fear at the creature approaching her. She stumbled backwards a few steps, then she ran.

Turning away, she broke into a sprint that took her towards Minho who was still standing still with a blank expression. Her legs burned with exhaustion, but she still ran. She had to.

When she reached him, his foot went out and tripped her up, sending her to the ground with a thud. It was painful, her stomach slamming into the stone and taking the oxygen from her lungs.

She flipped herself onto her back, tears streaming down her face now. Using her hands and feet, she shuffled away from the Griever that still advanced on her, panting. 

There was no chance for her to get up now.

Minho just watched her struggle, the creature passing him without a second thought. The Griever hovered over her now, the slime from its body dropping onto the girl that laid helplessly on her back.