Chapter Forty Five

King stayed at the bar with me. He looked annoyed and stressed and as tired as anyone could be without falling flat on their face, but he stayed.

He swiped through his phone, texting furiously and occasionally stepping back so he could take a phone call or two. When I asked if he knew anything new, he'd reply with the same phrase.

"Kody will be by to talk to you"

Since I couldn't think of a way to get any more information, I focused on my work. I served my tables with a forced smile and I cleaned the restaurant relentlessly.

When there were only ten minutes left of my shift, Kody walked through the double doors. He looked tired and his hair looked damp as if he'd just gotten out of the shower.

He held my gaze sending me a smile so that I would think everything was under control. I knew better, but I smiled back so that he wouldn't stress. He probably knew better too. 

King rose from the bar, immediately walking to Kody's side. They chatted for a while before King nodded and left the bar sending me a quick wave. Kody took his seat.

"Want some coffee?" I asked with the same fake smile plastered on my face.

He chuckled, his eyes trailing up my body. "Yeah, please."

I quickly brought him a cup before leaving to tend to my customers. When it was time for me to be cut, I grabbed my oversized hoodie from the backroom and tossed it over my work outfit. Since Kody was waiting for me at the bar, I let Martin know that I wouldn't need an escort.

Kody grabbed my hand as I met him by the door and led me towards his car. 

"Are you okay?" I asked cautiously as he pulled the door open for me.

He sighed. "I'm fine, Lewis. I'm going to bring you to my house okay?"

I nodded. It was sunday, and I didn't have any plans. Plus, Kody had faster internet than me.

He quickly closed the door before walking around the hood and sliding into the driver's seat. "Martin's said the owner's not going to press charges." He said casually. Conversationally.

I nodded. "That's good."

He was quiet for a bit, before clearing his throat. "Ezra, remember when the whole Stephen Miller thing happened and I said I wasn't going to try to run your life?"

I nodded hesitantly.

He turned his head to meet my gaze. "That shit's out the window now."

I was actually stunned. I was expecting him to be angry, but he was calm. He was calmly telling me that he was going to try and control my life. "Kody, I get that this sitation is bad but-"

He shook his head inturrupting me. "This situation is out of hand. Someone's going to end up hurt and I'm going to make damn sure it isn't you."

When he put it that way he didn't leave me any logical room for arguments. "So, what? You're going to lock me up in your apartment until Luca leaves town or gets arrested-"

"I'm going to do everything in my power to protect you." He said finally dropping the whole calm facade. "And I do mean everything in my power. "

I turned away now, looking out of the window instead of at him. "I don't think I'm Luca's target Kody. You're going to spend all of this time worrying about me and not enough time worrying about yourself."

He pulled into his parking space in his apartment complex, but he made no effort to turn off the car. "I brought this shit on myself Ez. You didn't know what you were getting yourself into."

He had me there.

Twisting in my seat, I faced him. "Hear me out Kody. What if we did the responsible thing and went to the police. That way no one get's hurt and Luca ends up in jail. "

He actually smiled, as if my idea was so ridiculous it was funny.

"With what evidence? What charges?" He sighed, shaking his head. "People like Luca don't go to jail, Ezra. And I don't want you to worry about it anymore."

Like it was a switch I could turn off.

"What should I worry about then, Kody?"

He shrugged. "You could worry about planning the gender reveal party you're allowing your friend to throw."

He was serious.

"So you think I can sit back and plan a fucking party while this is happening."

He groaned pulling open his door, I followed suit before he could come around and open mine for me.

"I don't want this to stress you out Ezra. I promise you, I have it under control."

I couldn't believe him.

"I don't want you to get hurt Kody." I mumbled my emotions quickly rising to the surface.

He casually placed his arm over my shoulder. "I'm not going to get hurt Ezra."

I shrugged him off, beginning to get frustrated. "Your not listening Kody. I can't handle thinking about what you're doing. I know it's dangerous and I know Luca has a gun. I can't not stress about it. "

His easy expression transformed into a more focused one as he unlocked his apartment door and ushered me inside. After locking it back he turned to me. "What do you want me to do? I can't just sit back and hope the problem goes away on it's own."

"The police can-"

His eyes flashed and I backtracked.

"Kody, listen to me. You did this. You're the one who wanted us to have this fucking relationship." I waved my hand in front of my face trying to get some air as panic overwhelmed me.

"I said I didn't want this and you wouldn't just let it go. So don't ask me to just sit here and be calm while you go potentially risk your life-"

He caught me by surprise wrapping his arms around me and pulling me tightly against his chest. "Calm down, Ezra. Just breath."

It was too late for me to calm down now. My mind wouldn't shut up. "I'm not built for this Kody. I never had to care about somebody else this much before. Not since I was a kid"

Tears blurred my vision and I wanted to just run and hide. Instead I buried my face in Kody's chest trying to be discreet.

He ran his hand through my hair actively distracting me for a while. "What do you want me to do, Ez." He sounded defeated. Stressed.

And I was selfish because instead of trying to comfort him and let him know it was okay for him to do what he needed to do, I tightened my hold on him. "I want you to stop, Kody. I want you to leave Luca alone."

I felt him tense up, allowing my words to register in his mind. I expected the denial. I ecpected the refusal. I knew what I was asking was too much. It was selfish. And thinking about it, it didn't even make any sense.

So I was shocked when Kody simply brushed the tips of his fingers over my face, wiping my tears away. "Okay."