Chapter Three

AN: I have not yet edited this chapter. Please let me know if there is anything drastically wrong.

Thank you!

-Savannah

_____ 

The journey to the Alps took longer than expected. Yua had counted the days to be several days now, closer to five. She was growing weary but remained composed. On the bright side, she had gotten to know Bankan and Bassui better and while Bankan was composed and a bit short tempered, Bassui was aloof and quite loose in character. As much as they looked alike, they were polar opposites in personality.

As they approached the Alps, they had stopped to let Yua wash up and change by a creek that was surrounded in thick foliage. The water was close to freezing temperatures, flowing down from the peaks where snow touched the tops of the mountains.

She changed into her white kimono with the intricate floral designs of pink and red. Sara helped her dress and put up her hair with wooden pins. It was only a matter of time before she would meet her fated husband. What would he think of her? Would he be pleased by her beauty?

Staring into her reflection in the creek, Yua examined her black hair, dark chestnut eyes, and her skin that was the color of white sand. She always thought her long face and strong cheek bones were good features but now she doubted everything despite her beauty. She was nervous but remained courageous by reprimanding her fears with brave thoughts instead.

When she stepped out from the foliage she could not help but notice the looks of admiration that Bankan and Bassui gave her, but they both quickly turned away because it was not their place to stare at a princess.

As Bassui helped her into the buggy once more, he whispered to her "He will be crazy not to love you."

Love. It was a strong word that she only heard spoken genuinely from her father. Her father always described what real love was like, not the artificial type that eventually fades away into hatred or ignorance. He spoke of her mother frequently and how he loved her so. She had passed away from an illness of the lungs when Yua was very young but the little bit she remembered of her mother was that she loved tending to orchids while humming ancient songs.

Yua knew what to look for in love because she remembered the way her parents looked at one another. It was rare for two royals to have true love but her father spoke of how they were lucky and blessed. He hoped for the same for his daughter one day.

Yua knew if Daichi, or any man, ever looked at her the way her parents looked at one another then it was real love. Unfortunately, she had wasted so much time wanting to find that look so badly that she became rash in decision making and too hasty by choosing different men as potential husbands. This is why her father became irritated and sought out the matchmaker himself. Reflecting on these thoughts, Yua now understood and empathized with her father's frustrations. She wanted to be more mature now and focus on making it work between Daichi and her.

Sure enough, the air began to chill. The buggy creaked as they began to go up the mountains. The path was becoming narrower and then the hours seemed to become longer as the air became even more frigid.

And before she knew it, the buggy halted to a stop. She peered out the door but noticed they were in the middle of the path with no house in sight. That was when she heard men arguing.

Yua watched in a cross of amazement and horror as a roused looking man with tussled hair and dark blue orbs held a sword at Bassui's throat.

"You are not welcome here," The man's deep voice seemed to echo all throughout the mountains, "Turn around to the way you came."

He pressed the blade of his sword closer to Bassui's throat. Bankan made a move to jump off of the buggy he was steering but quickly refrained when the man growled, "Don't move or he will be without a head."