Chapter Five

The next morning the snow was piled high, well above the tall grass in the field and it froze over the river making the surface look as if it were glass. The only sign of heat was from the fire that still simmered in the distance from within Daichi's home.

Yua had awoken to find no one in the backroom except herself. She took the opportunity to clean her face with the bowl of water that someone had left for her on a small table next to the bed. After damping her arms and legs too, sponging away remnants of dirt from the previous day, she dressed in a blue kimono from her things that Sara must have left on a chair for her.

Then, Yua pulled her hair away from her face and tied it with ribbon, leaving just her long bangs to dangle down each cheek in cascading waves of black. Yua did not bother painting her face knowing that her efforts would fall empty handed since they were to leave today, no matter what the weather was like.

She stood tall with her shoulders back as she entered the open living area. Daichi was adding more wood to the fire while Sara, Bankan, and Bassui slowly awoke. She watched as Daichi boiled wheat and sun-dried berries. He brought Yua a bowl of the porridge first, and then offered the others some.

The air was tense and at times frigid because snow would blow through the cracks below the door every few minutes. It was a hard reminder that they would have to travel in these harsh conditions.

That was when Daichi's gave hardened over and he looked almost angry when he spoke, "You may stay until the snow melts. It will not be safe for anyone to be outside when it is this cold. Your horses will suffer too. They may remain in my stables until you leave."

Yua rose her head in approval of Daichi's sudden change in spirit, despite his frustration from the situation, "We must thank you."

Daichi's gaze met her own and his gaze became even darker, "I do not wish for your thanks. If the weather were any different you would be out of my house after the last bite of food was consumed."

Yua challenged him, "And you would be left alone, unaffected by human interaction again."

Daichi scowled, "Just as I like it."

Sara watched the two argue and she met Bassui's gaze with an all-knowing sort of look. They were beginning to understand why Hamari matched them together. Their spirits were both high strung but fierce like wild horses fighting until one would have to choose to back off. It was only the matter of which one would back off first.

"Well, maybe," Yua mocked, "Just maybe some human interaction would do you well."

Daichi's gaze became even sharper as his glare darkened more, "Other people like yourself are the ones who have done me wrong. Do not assume what you know about me to be true for there are many versions of the same story but only I know the truth."

Yua backed off as her mockery now overtook her anger, "And what story is that? The betrayal of my father's army? The sole reason you were exiled, because you are disloyal. Having your honor stripped from the very heart of"

His fists clenched, turning his knuckles white as he cut her off, "The emperor?"

"Why yes-"

"The man you call Father? Tell me, Princess" He spat her title sarcastically, "Do you even know why I was exiled?"

Yua hesitated slightly.

"No?" He snapped again, "Then you better keep your pretty little mouth shut. Must I remind you that you are in my home and I can throw you out however and whenever I please?"

Yua shut her jaw abruptly but held her head up higher, challenging him despite the upset in her eyes being only barely visible, but still noticeable to the others.

She stood taller, "I am the Princess of Japan. You will do no such thing as this is still my land."

Daichi crossed the room to the door and opened it abruptly, gusts of frosty winds blowing into the room. His action took everyone off guard, "Do you want to bet? Because as far as I am concerned, you are just a spoiled girl that your Father keeps ill informed."

Yua was hesitant at first but then she too crossed the room to the door, pushing against the bitter cold air. Her hair blew behind her making her look almost angelic except for her darkened glare and her clenched jaw. She made it look like she was going to step outside but before the last step, she turned around and raised her hand to slap Daichi.

But he caught her hand and gripped her wrist tightly. She did not drop her challenging look and tried to slap him with her other hand but he caught that one too with his other.

Then, Daichi pushed her into the door, making it shut while everyone around them watched horror stricken. Bankan had his hand on the handle to his sword, waiting for Daichi to make the wrong move at any given time. This was far enough as it was.

Daichi pressed Yua up against the closed door, his strong body pressed against her as he held her hands on each side of her head. He put his mouth to her ear and whispered, "Do you really want to challenge the one person in the world who is arguably stronger than anyone in the Emperor's royal army?"

Yua spat in his face, "Yes!"

Her action made Daichi let go of her and take a step back to wipe the spit from his cheek.

And then he roared, opened the door, and pushed Yua outside.