Episode 4

"Morning  [Y/N]!" I was greeted bright and early my my youngest brother, Dannie, as he latched his gangly arms around my waist, once again attempting a bear hug. And, once again as always, I played along. He was five for heavens sake.

"OOOOH! Good...morning....Dannie......" I hugged him back, planting a kiss on the top of his head. "You're getting so strong. But you gotta let me go now." "What's the magic word?" I peaked an eyebrow at the preschool child who was a lot smarter and mischievous than one would anticipate. "Oh alright! Pop!" He released my waist with a giggle and ran off to the kitchen.

His antics were always so sweet and pure. At five, he was the epitome of kindness, and craziness, all at the same time. He didn't have to worry about responsibilities. They were a foreign concept to him. He was free.

I missed that feeling.

However, watching him enjoy his Saturday, and seeing the others smiling faces as they enjoyed the toaster waffles that they enjoyed every Saturday as a treat, it brought me a semblance of that feeling that I missed.

"Here you go!" Dannie reached up and slid a plate off the counter before handing it up to me. "We got up early so I could make you waffles. Nicole helped me." "Did she? That's very nice of her. And very nice of you to make me breakfast."

The once frozen waffles were completely soaked in syrup, but I would grin and bear it. He worked so hard, and I wouldn't discourage his kindness.

I sat down to eat, trying not to let the thick sugar make an absolute mess.

"So Alex, do you have anything planned for next Friday?" He held up a finger, chewing his food before he spoke. " Not that I can think of. Why? You finally letting me get a job?" I shook my head. "No. I just need you to be in charge after I bring you guys home. You can have nuggets for dinner or I'll pre-make something you can heat up."

It pained me to ask so much of him. He already helped so much every evening, cleaning up a little and making sure everyone got into bed. I had almost told Lloyd no just so that Alexander didn't have any more to do.

But I needed this. I needed a friend; someone to just spend time with me as is. No work or responsibility involved.

I needed my own freedom.

"Sure I guess. What's up? Something happen at work?" I immediately realized how little I had informed him and gritted my teeth, trying to emphasize that was not right. "Oh nonono. Nothing like that." Once I was confident he'd gotten the gist, I relaxed, unaware of the soft smile that followed my awkward realization. "I'm actually hanging out with a friend next Friday."

His eyes widened and Nicole, the only one old enough besides Alex to understand how much I was doing and all my responsibilities, donned the same expression, stopping mid waffle. "Yourf not goming no worfmk?" "No talking with your mouth full Nicole." I reprimanded softly.

"But no. I'm not working. Mr. Tsuki gave me the night off. I was against it but... " Alex reached across the table and sat his hand on mine. "Don't be sis." He let go, and even though I knew what was coming next, it still caused me to cry. "You've taken care of us every day since....well. You know. Have fun. You've earned it."

I didn't want too think too highly of myself, but for a change I believed Alex to be right. I HAD earned a night off.

WHY. DOES. THE. UNIVERSE. HATE. ME.SO!?

For once in a long time I finally got a chance to hang out with someone my age and what happened? I had the absolute shittiest week possible. Some asshole started a fight at the bar Sunday night and I nearly got hit with a shot glass while security got rid of him. Monday there was a rally for a local sports team at the college, so I was nearly late in dropping the kids off to school because it took so long to clean it. And then on Tuesday, my stomach was so upset I thought I was going to cry.