Chapter 10 - Prodigal brother (September 12, 2020)

chapter tw: guilt

Date posted: September 12, 2020

Chapter 10 - Prodigal brother 

After 13 more hours of layover and plane ride, they finally landed safely in NAIA. Now that he ditched the crutches, Luntian gave him a cane that he's now sporting in his right hand, Perci is finally smelling the nostalgic Manila air. It sends a lot of shivers in his spine. Iba pa rin talaga magbalik sa bansa.

He was parachuting his eventual comeback to the Philippines for so long at akala niya walang mabuting maidudulot ang pagbabalik niya. But uncannily, he still felt a sense of comfort despite the impending anxienty. The temperature. The smell. The familiar ambiance. Everything made his senses snug as if something is really telling him that he is home.

Sumunod lang siya kay Luntian na naglalakad papunta sa arrival area.

"Our things?" Aniya sa babae na nakalimutan yatang kunin ang bagahe nito sa conveyor belt.

"They will get them." Turo niya sa papalapit sa kanilang mga babaeng mga naka-uniporme.

Napailing na lang si Perci as the uniformed staff marched towards the baggages. It's still always a culture shock everytime she displays her money in front of him. It's crazy how he thinks he will never get used to it. Hindi niya akalain na meron talagang mga naka-unipormeng kasambahay ang mga mayayaman. He used to think these are just creative licenses in dramas and movies for you to clearly distinguish the characters. Pero hindi niya alam na may ganito pala talaga sa tunay na buhay.

"You got what you need here?" Luntian said as she raise his bag. He realized his hand-carry has been with her all this time dahil hindi nga siya makapagdala ng kahit ano dahil sa sitwasyon niya and what's in the conveyor are all her things.

"Y-yes."

"Then let's go?" Luntian said as she leads him towards the exit.

"Go where?" He asked dahil napansin niyang hindi nila kasabay ang mga unipormadong mga kasambahay.

"We're going to the chapel."

"Chapel?" He asked until it dawned on him. "How did you know about it?"

"Marky. You allow me to help you but you refuse to say what's going on, so I did it on my own ways. Besides, anong gagawin mo? Paano ka pupunta doon? Maglalakad? Mag-isa?"

"Luntian!"

"What?"

Hindi alam ni Perci ang sasabihin. Because it's true. It's actually the plan. He will go to the chapel to finally face the reality. But he has never been thinking of the actual ways to really go there. Because he is not thinking at all. He still refused to delve into this truth that the forgot the problem-solving that comes with everything.

Ni hindi niya nga naisip na wala siyang pera. Wala siyang kakayahan para makapunta doon nang hindi nadadapa. That even at this moment, he still needs to borrow strength from this annoying woman.

"Y-you don't have to come with me... please." He said helplessly.

"It's okay." Ani Luntian habang nakangiti. "I'm okay. I can come with you."

"Hindi kita inaalala." He corrected her notion. "I just really don't want you to come with me."

Luntian smirked sarcastically.

"You really can't pretend to like me even just for a bit, no?"

"Please, Luntian. May patay sa'min. Hindi ako nakikipaglokohan."