12. CARLA AND THE KILLER TRUTH

12.
[CARLA AND THE KILLER TRUTH]

CARLA WAS SO close to getting what she wanted. She had poured years into her work, and finally she was where she needed to be. She had battled and fought herself for this project, and here she was, celebrating with her new acquaintance.

They had become fast friends when Carla approached Phoebe at the bar and complimented her on her killer jacket.

"Thanks, hon," Phoebe grinned, her eyes sparkling.

Carla downed a glass.

"Celebrating something?" her new friend asked.

"Yeah," Carla smiled. "I'm about to finish a...personal project I've been working on for years. Something that's taken my blood, sweat, and tears."

"Congratulations!" Phoebe cheered. "Next round on me!"

After multiple drinks, Phoebe invited Carla to a party down the street. Phoebe's glass eyes promised a night of adventure that Carla was all too excited to dive in to. It was all she wanted. All she needed.

They left the bar and entered the cold streets. The wind blew harshly, making Carla shiver under her thick jacket. She hadn't felt warm in a long time.

"You remind me of someone," Phoebe said, examining Carla's deep green eyes as they walked.

Carla smiled, "Oh really?"

"Yeah, you look like..." Phoebe trailed off. She smiled and shook her head, entertained by whatever memory she had recalled.

Carla didn't ask. 

When they reached the street corner, Carla stopped. Taking deep breaths, she took a minute to collect herself. This was it. This was everything she had worked for. This was all she had dedicated her life to.

"Perhaps you're recalling Lily?"

Her friend paused.

Lily.

"Surprised, Rosemary?" Carla drawled.

Phoebe whirled around to face her, shock coloring that dangerously beautiful face. It was a face that had haunted her nightmares for months. It was a face she had obsessively chased for the past year.

"Or should I say Ellie? Ashley? Or Charlotte?" Carla sneered. "As many names as victims, I wonder how you keep count, Rosemary."

It had been a long time since Rosemary had heard her real name. The named cursed to her by her family.

Carla approached her, her eyes burning with resentment, "Or was it Quinn when you killed my sister?"

Rosemary growled and pounced. She grabbed Carla by the hair and threw a punch, knocking her down on the ground.

"How did you know?" she whispered dangerously, her voice shaking.

Instead of the usual fear in Rosemary's victims, Carla laughed dryly.

"The wind whispers," she taunted maniacally. "Your secret's out, Phoebe."

Rosemary dug her sharp heel into Carla's arm, her eyes flashing with screeching madness.

"Kill me, do what you want with me, I don't have much to live for anyways. You made sure of that the day you stole my sister from me," Carla breathed. "You stole her life, and now you're going to get what you deserve. It took a while, but I found you, and I exposed you. People are looking for you now, and they'll find you no matter what name you hide behind."

Rosemary remained silent, her eyes burning holes into the girl she held captive.

"How does it feel?" Carla smiled through the blood as she pushed herself up from the floor. "Look at me. Remember me. Because it was me. I found you. I avenged my sister. I fucked up your sadistic little game. Time's up, you bitch."

Rosemary's lips twitched. She stared up at the sky, her mind running a million miles a minute. She had to admit – she never though this day would come. The day her turn would be over.

"Do it," Carla snarled. "Kill me. I was going to off myself, anyway. But not before hunting you down, and right now? Seeing the fear in your eyes? It was fucking worth it."

Rosemary looked down at Carla, whose eyes were manic and bloodshot. There was something deeply perturbed about this girl, something so disgustingly similar to Rosemary herself. Carla's eyes burned with an unending insanity and cried tears of liquid lunacy.

Rosemary realized she harbored no hatred for the girl before her. If anything, she was impressed.

"I think it's time for you to be reunited with your sister," Rosemary said softly, watching Carla close her eyes without a fight. It was like she awaited death. Like she had planned for it.

When Rosemary slit Carla's throat, no satisfaction came out of the blood she spilled.

The moon sighed.

Lily's spirit cried.

Time was up.