Twins

A week later the group of four sat in library on the third floor. Ace had a test coming up as did Evie. Riley had a couple of essays due and Liam was studying his math.

Liam looked up, "Okay what is with you?"

"What?" asked Riley.

"You've been tapping that pen for the past three minutes."

Riley stopped and turned to Evie.

"You were adopted," said Riley.

"Yeah," said Evie, "so?"

*****

"Thanks for coming," said Mr. Trudeau.

"So did you find something," Evie asked.

"Your hunch was right," Mr. Trudeau said to Riley.

She asked him, "What do you mean?"

Mr. Trudeau placed two film strips on nearby light boxes. "Riley the one on the left is your DNA, Evie, the one on the right is yours."

"They look the same," said Riley.

"Too much the same," said Mr. Trudeau .

He placed the films over each other. They were a near perfect match with a few differences.

"So what are you saying, dad, that Riley and I are related?"

Mr. Trudeau looked at his daughter. "I'm saying that not only are you related, you're twins."

Riley and Evie looked at each other. Then without saying a word, Riley went out into the hallway and took a seat.

"This whole time," she said when Evie came over and took a seat beside her. "I mean, how can this be?"

"I don't know? Why did you even want to do this in the first place?"

"I don't know, I guess there were just too many similarities between us that it got me wondering. I was kind of hoping I was wrong, no offense."

"Don't worry about it. So what happens now?"

"Nothing I guess, I mean we're still 'us' right? The only thing that's different is that we know we're biological sisters."

"I've never had a sister before."

"Neither have I."

"It's kind of nice."

Riley smiled.

"So what are you going to do?" asked Evie.

"What do you mean?"

"Well Gena has never exactly been forthcoming and now you know the truth."

Riley nodded. "Guess there is one thing I have to do."

Evie nodded as well and placed a hand on her now sister's back.

*****

Lisa sighed from her end. "Riley, didn't you get my letter?"

"I got it, Lisa," as Riley called her. It was too important to just text or face chat. She still had their numbers. "I just have a couple of questions."

"Okay."

"When you told me you were pregnant at a later age you weren't talking about me were you?"

"What are you-,"

"Please just answer the question."

Lisa took a few seconds. "No, I wasn't. I was pregnant with a son. He was still born. His name was Jay."

"After 'Jim.'"

"Yeah. A couple years later when I was thirty we were finally ready to have another baby. We didn't want to do it naturally fearing that the outcome would be the same. We wanted a baby girl so we adopted you. Your mother was a strung out alcoholic. She stayed sober with you. That was the only good thing she did in her life."

"And the other baby?"

"How did you-"

"What about the other baby?"

Lisa sighed, "aside from putting you up for adoption one of her requests was that she separate the two of you."

"Why?"

"She never said."

"So you knew, this whole time you knew Evie and I were sisters."

"Yes."

"And you never said anything!"

"We didn't want that responsibility."

"What responsibility?"

"We didn't want there to be a custody battle, you two going back and forth. You remember that show 'Switched at Birth' you used to like?"

"Yeah."

"Well we didn't want anything like that to happen. You two were so happy that we thought it was best if you two just grew up as friends. You two did everything together remember."

"We still do."

"That's good."

"No I mean we do everything together. Evie's pregnant too. She's a month behind me and unlike my parents hers actually care."

"Riley-,"

"You know what, that's all I needed to know. You won't hear from me again."

The line was dead. Riley looked at the phone, 'Figure's you would hang up first.'

This was all a lot to take in but she wasn't about to stress herself over it, she couldn't for the sake of her babies.

A sister. And a twin sister at that. Suddenly it made sense as to why she was having twins of her own. Genetics and all of that.

She placed her hands on her belly. "We're going to get through this, I promise. We're going to stay together."