𝑇𝑊𝐸𝐿𝑉𝐸

☾𝑇𝑊𝐸𝐿𝑉𝐸

𝑇𝑊𝐸𝐿𝑉𝐸

The first spot of rain that trickled down her bedroom window made Anna feel things that she had dreaded to feel. The headache that pounded at her head each day didn't help either, especially with the sound that echoed through the thin glass, like pebbles against the floor. The problem was that it reminded her far too much of home, of England. It made her feel sicker than she already was, prolonging the time she spent in bed, drowsy and stomach groggy from too much tea.

She had been stuck in bed for a month now. It was already deep into December and the idea of ever getting home seemed like a far off memory, of a dream that had been told to her by a stranger so many years ago. However, it didn't stop her of thinking about it. No matter how much the illness that brewed within her stayed, it seemed that it was only the memory keeping her alive and somewhat well.

The very frequent visits from her new friends helped too. Though Molly never strayed from her side for too long, Elliot had managed to move her along some days, but never for more than half an hour at a time. It seemed that she was destined to constantly worry, sometimes so much that she felt sick herself.

Anna felt as if she was getting better and better by the day. No more hallucinations, of which she refused to even think about. The illness that they had called spring fever had stayed with her longer than the usual victim, but she persisted with her fighting, and with smiles growing bigger as time went on, Anna felt hopeful once again. Even if the repetition of her days made her head numb from boredom.

But the rain had piqued her interest for a very eventful day before the early morning had even passed. Anna woke to see the sun barely up from the house that it escaped into each night, just at the bottom of her pretty street.

The first knock came at noon, the time that Elliot would usually come tripping in, a wide and goofy grin pulling at his cheeks, rouged from both sun and sweat. He was too active for Maya to keep up with, and so she would often appear in her doorway another ten minutes later, baring a tea pot and cake fresh from Mrs Bagley's kitchen. Sometimes they would bring a game to play, or a new book for her to read over the next days until they would see her, and for that she couldn't be more thankful. Staying in the same room, the same stifling heat to keep her company was as tedious as things could get. Only last week, they had played cards. Elliot had lost a few marbles- the only thing he could have bet.

"Anna, you have a visitor." Moly's voice wavered in from beneath the doorway. She didn't usually escort them up.

"Elliot?"

Molly's face appeared in the doorway, her hair messy as if she had run her hands through it too many times and her whole face flushed as it always was when she spent days running about the house.