𝑇𝑊𝐸𝑁𝑇𝑌 𝑁𝐼𝑁𝐸

☾𝑇𝑊𝐸𝑁𝑇𝑌 𝑁𝐼𝑁𝐸

𝑇𝑊𝐸𝑁𝑇𝑌 𝑁𝐼𝑁𝐸

She'd quickly learned that darkness broke out in Small Heath very early in the day. There was something about the smoke and the smog and the filth, paired with the harsh clattering of the factories that attracted the blackness by just after four o'clock. It sent shivers down her back as they walked through the streets, the frosty wind biting their cheeks until they turned bright pink from the cold.

It took Finn and Isaiah only ten minutes to realise that the darkness only hindered their supposed tour. It was made more awkward still by the fact that Anna hadn't shared a single word with them in that entire time. Something felt off- not with the boys, of course- but with her being there as a whole. It felt as if Anna was intruding upon something, or more likely taking someone's place.

"Well, we were going to show you to Charlie's yard and everything, but it's getting dark, and Tommy doesn't want us out without light, given..." Finn said, trailing off. "There's not many places we can go now."

"That's fine. I've seen more than enough for the moment," she said. It was only as the words left her mouth, that Anna realised how rude they sounded. "I didn't mean it like that, only that Michael had shown me a little before we went to the house in Sutton."

Finn stopped, his eyebrows furrowed. "How long have you been here?" His voice almost sounded offended, knocking up a pitch or two.

"Months."

Though to Anna it had felt like mere weeks, it really had been months. Almost eight months to be exact. Still, she could remember the shock on her mother's face, the feeling of a good March rain soaking her through, as clearly as if it was yesterday.

Finn scowled, though at no one in particular. It earned a teasing chuckle from Isaish beside him.

"And Aunt Pol never said a bloody word!" he exclaimed, shaking his head. "I knew she wasn't talking to the rest of my brothers, but I thought she would have told me."

"I think she was going to. She would have, too, if all this hadn't have happened," Anna said.

It was the truth. Polly had spoken about Finn the most- about the times he would run bare feet in the streets between Watery Lane and the Garrison. She talked fondly of when they were just small children before she and Michael had been taken from her when Anna would giggle at her younger cousin, who always managed to find a way to crawl through the muck of things.

Anna debated telling these things to Finn. It seemed he needed to be reminded of the affection his Aunt felt for him. But she supposed it was just a matter of belief. No matter what she said, Finn would be offended by his lack of knowledge as to Anna's return. In fact, it reminded her of Will sometimes- the stubbornness and need for awareness.

"We best be heading back. Aunt Pol will have my head if I bring you back too late," Finn said. Anna nodded- she knew how angry her mother would be- she had said so that very morning.