Chapter 1

I awoke to the sound of birds chirping outside of my window. I smiled at the soft light that entered my room through my soft white drapes. I breathed a sigh of relief at the wonderful dream I had. I had met a handsome man in the forest and fell instantly in love.

My thoughts were cut short however when my thoughts brought me back to reality. I hope the kingdom did not suffer too much last night. I quickly got out of bed and put on a casual gown to go out to the market and see the damage. During this month, my father was a little weary to let me out into the kingdom, but when he realized that the dragon only came at night, he thought it was a good morale boost whenever I visited the villagers.

I thought that I had made it in the clear getting ready on my own, but my lady in waiting Clarissa burst into my room.

"Tsk tsk. If you want to go out and see the Kingdom you need to look presentable." Clarissa stepped towards me and sat me down at the vanity.

I rolled my eyes and winced as she brushed my unruly curly hair. She then tightly braided my long hair behind my back. Little did she know I was for sure going to take it out when she wasn't looking. I hated when my hair was confined. I honestly wish I could cut it shorter, but mother would not allow it and if Clarissa had any say in it, she would not let me either.

"There, all done." Clarissa smiled at me and then she frowned when she looked at the dress I was wearing. It was my absolute favorite because it was one of the few dresses that I could actually move in. I did not understand why I had to always wear frilly dresses that were so tight I could not breathe. Before Clarissa could push me towards the wardrobe, I got up and put my brown boots on and grabbed my satchel.

"Bye Clarissa, I don't want to be late!" I then ran out of the room and I could feel her judgmental stare at my back. As I ran down the halls and slid down the railing to the grand stairway, I unbraided my hair and let it flow freely. I then skipped to the kitchen.

"Hello your Majesty." Everyone said and sync.

"Heading to the village again Princess?" The head chef Marco said with a chuckle as he handed me a parcel of bread, cheese and an apple.

"Yep, I got to escape before you know who comes." I grinned. Just then I heard my mother's voice from outside the kitchen

"Where is the Princess?" I heard her ask one of the maids in the hall. Oh no. I quickly ran out the servant's entrance at the side of the kitchen and kept running till I was on the main road. If I were to stay in that castle any longer, she would for sure make me change and make me take lessons on how to be a proper lady. Disgusting.

I sucked in a breath as I slowed my raggedy breath from running. I am so glad I avoided Clarissa changing me into a death trap of a dress. I made my way down the road and smiled at the breeze. My smile dropped though when I saw scorch marks as I entered the village. This was probably the worst damage I had seen yet.

What once was a thriving town a month ago, almost every shop was in ruin. Shells of businesses remained, and glum faces were everywhere I looked. I wished someone would come to vanquish the dragon. But we had already lost so many of our soldiers. We needed an expert warrior but everyone outside of our kingdom thought we were crazy. Not even a huge reward enticed anyone.

"Hello Pat." I said to the florist as I helped her lift up her cart that once held beautiful bouquets, but now held ash.

"Hello Princess." Pat replied weakly. I wish there was something I could do for all of my subjects.

"I am sorry for all of the damage that has become of your flowers and your shop." I said with a frown as I looked up at her have burned store.

"It's okay Princess. It is really sweet of you to come out here like you do. It is always great to have a helping hand like you." Pat said with a small smile.

The Cursed Dragon PrincessOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara