CHAPTER 1 - Bucky Barnes

I would never call myself a good man.

Even before Hydra made my become the "Winter Soldier" I did so many wrong things - too many to be one of the Avengers, I guess. Too many to get Steves shield.

I betrayed my friends and family.

I wasn't able to stay with me best friend when he'd needed me the most.

I almost startet a war between Iron Man and Captain Amerca.

I treated many women wrong - ignored their feelings, played with them, because "Love" was always just a game for me.

I killed people in the war. Even people who weren't fighting.

And I feel sorry for all of this. But there is nothing - literally nothing - I regret as much as that I never told Steve that I loved him. It's so long ago - 70 years, I guess - but today I whish that he had known. That I said this horrible five words.

I love you, Steve Rogers.

I don't even know when it startet. Maybe when he became a soldier. Or when he rescued me. Or when we fought in the Second World War. Side-by-side.

And maybe - just maybe - I did already loved him when we were boys.

But after I freezed... this feelings were gone. They died in the ice and one part of me died with them. After that we were "just" friends. Brothers. As we are today.

He was there when I came back to life.

He thought me dead but I wasn't.

I thought him dead but he wasn't.

He was a hero - a Avenger. And I was the reason for a war. I guess that says everything about us. The golden boy and his friend. Me. Bucky Barnes.

Steve believed in me when I didn' even know who I was. And I belivieved in him since the moment I remembered.

He was grown in the time we didn't see each other. He seemed wiser and stronger.

We both are older than we should be - I mean... soldiers in the Second World War and still fighting in the 21th century? Sounds like a bad joke.

But he is the only one who became better. Another person. A great hero. When we met again he was Captain America. Not Steve Rogers. Not anymore. Even now when he also looks like an 80-year old man. He had the time of his life with his wife Peggy Carter - in his timeline. Our timeline.

And I? I am still who I was when we were young.

Bucky Barnes. Just Bucky Barnes, who is now running through a training room and trying not to get hurt by some paintballs. How heroic.

Next to mee runs Sam Wilson, the Falcon. He has wings made of steel but he isn't using them in the moment. Why should he? He has Steves shield to protect him.

"Bucky!", Sam yells and breaks in on my thoughts.

I lift my metal arm an fend of a paintball. Red colour splashes on my fingers. The colour of love and the colour of blood.

I look around and see some drones left. They all are controlled by a computer ten metres away from us. Can we do it without getting shooted by one of the "bullets"? However: I really should care more about the training and less about some old and gone feelings.

I hide behind a small wall and look to my training partner.

Sam Wilson, "the Falcon." And Bucky Barnes, "the Winter Soldier." Thats us. A bird and a freezed soldat. Sounds like a great team, doesn't it?