CHAPTER 5 - Kayla Kollins

'Except for him.'

That's what I wanted to say.

'Nobody can help me, except for him.'

But I didn't.

Because in this moment... in this moment with this man I fear and who helps me... I felt like I could control the Phoenix. The tattoo. The horrible things Hydra did to me. I felt like I'm his master and he's just me weapon.

But I know it isn't true. I know that I cannot control him.

I am the red Phoenix. Red like blood and roses.
I am the Phoenix Hydra wanted dead.

Because the fire is stronger than I am.

***

"We're there.", Bucky Barnes says and gives me his hand to get off of the motorbike. Of course I ignore him and do it on my own.

"No shit, Sherlock.", I say sarcastic. "I realized that we held on but thanks for your explanation."

"Every time again, Watson.", he grumbles and rolls his eyes.

"Wait, you know Sherlock Holmes?", Sams asks with a mix of confusion and unfriendliness in his face.

He does not trust me. And I can understand him.

"Hydra locked me in a room at the bottom of their foothold.", I explain. "But I escaped and could live in the whole area they surrounded by the electric field you destroyed. In the foothold were clothes, food, weapons and some other things. Also books and movies."

Bucky smiles. "Come on, Mrs Holmes. We have a new case.", he says to me and gives me his arm like one of this gentlemen from the old films I watched.

"It would be an honor, Mr Watson.", I answer and lay my hand on his.

Acting like someone I'm not helps me to control this fear I don't want to have. And I have a feeling like he knows that because he's doing the same.

"And who am I?", Sam grumbles. "The hound of Baskerville?"

Barnes laughs. It is the first time I'm sounds... happy.

I wish a would have a friend like Sam. Someone who makes me laugh even if I'm so fearful and sad like Bucky is. Well... I think he is.

We open the door and walk into the building.

The rooms are big and bright, many windows are in the walls.

I can see no other people and I want to ask if they really live in this boring, white rooms, when Falcon opens a door.

Behind this door there is so much technology that I make a step backwards. The only organization I know that has so much of this is - you see - Hydra.

A man stands at a table, he is looking at a big, black machine I don't know.

When the Winter Soldier closes the door behind us, the man turns around.

"What the hell?, he says when he sees me.

Charming.

"That's Kayla Kollins.", Bucky says.

"That wasn't the question.", the man says and takes one step to us. His hands are fists and I'm sure that he will attack me if he thinks that something is wrong. I guess he doesn't trust Barnes and Wilson.

"Rhodey..." That's Sam. He rolls his eyes. "She's okay."

"Well, I'm fine.", I say. "Thanks for asking." I also take a step forward. The tattoo at my chest begins to shine a little.