30 - It's Quiet Uptown

[ banner by alleyvoneb ]

2028 GREENWICH VILLAGE, NEW YORK CITY

Summer breeze coated in sweet honey filtered into the overheated dormitory on the second floor through the open window, the curtains rustling in the wind. From down on the quad, laughter and music could be heard, the festivities of summer break loud and earnest. One last goodbye before senior year could begin and the rest of our lives would unravel.

New York University was brimmed with students packing their too many suitcases and pulling down posters and stashing their beer into bags for a new adventure far away from the clogged lecture halls and communal showers. My own bags were laid flat out on my single bed, the bedsheets already shoved deep into my hamper.

"You almost ready to hit the road, babe?" Sweat clung to my skin, sticky and unpleasant but my dorm room was not equipped with air conditioning, which meant the heat spun around in circles with nowhere to go. Clayton Cole was standing in the doorway, shoulder rested against the doorframe and I flashed him a half smile. "Red wasn't playing games when she said we needed to be in the Hamptons by noon."

Things had changed; the leaves turned orange, the wind turned warmer, and all our lives continued to move beyond the world of high school after graduation. Clayton Cole had toughed up his bad boy attitude and enrolled into NYU alongside me, not quite sticking it to the man. Harry Osborn had grown Oscorp from the ground up, now one of the leading companies in the world for practical science theory for interdimensional communications. Mary Jane Watson had landed her leading role as Sophie Sheridan in Mama Mia! and had finally gotten an engagement ring the size of the moon. Peter Parker had moved to Massachusetts to study at MIT, to follow in Tony Stark's legacy. Our relationship had not survived the long distance.

"I'm almost done," I replied, sweeping my hair into a tight ponytail and attempting to zip one suitcase without much luck. "I have to drop into the office on the way, but I promise to be super quick. Matty just needs my signature on this case against The Hellfire Club—"

With a loud boom, the bathroom doorknob smacked against the wall and Michelle Jones poured into our stinking hot dorm. She carried half her shower belongings in her arms and a famous scowl was printed on her lips. "I can't believe we've gotta' go all the way to the Hamptons to watch Mary Jane trot down the aisle to that dirtbag. You should have married her, Clayton. At least you wouldn't have thrown around your nonexistent money for a fancy party."

Clayton bit down a chuckle. "Osborn should have married her."

Half our friend group was divided about the wedding; only Ned was onboard with Mary Jane going through with the wedding to Danny Rand, a very famous pretty boy, with a handy little trick with his fist and a trust fund to live out all his wildest dreams, which included a pretty redhead with an idea to marry rich.

"It's Mary Jane's wedding tomorrow, can we not do this again?" I tried, popping a knee against my suitcase and huffing out a sigh until it closed with a satisfying zip.

Clayton turned to Michelle. "Twenty bucks says Red doesn't make it down the aisle."

"Fifty bucks says she does," Michelle wagered. "But Osborn jumps up when the celebrant starts that whole does anybody here have reason to believe these two shall not be married." Michelle put on a low manly voice for the thrill of the story.

They shook hands like stupid fools.

"You two are horrible," I grumbled, heaving one bag to the carpet. Clayton inched forward, lifting it effortlessly, one hand going to the small of my back. I shooed away his lips from my cheek and he laughed into my ear. "Don't you dare try to kiss me into your forgiveness."