Chapter Three: Is This My Pen?

"And there will be a day, When you can say you're okay and mean it."

[Song: "Secret For The Mad" - Dodie Clark]

RECAP:

The usually cheerful Jordan showed a different side of him when he was clearly irritated that Naomi didn't meet up with him, Bennett, and Declan at Starbooks. Naomi never took up Jordan's invitation because meeting up with three guys she has never talked to before didn't show any possibilities that it will end well. However, the three transfer students clearly showed they might be one of the good guys when they steered Naomi's bullies away at school. After Jordan showed his perfect timing by stepping in when Naomi was confronting a bully, she decides to take up his offer to grab a cup of coffee.

~

I was met with the distinct smell of coffee as I entered the humble cafe.

"What do you mean I can't get a free drink?" She asked in disbelief. "I'm dating you, aren't I?"

Although the same couldn't be said for its customers.

His eyes shifted away and he muttered, "I keep telling you that I'll get into trouble if I did that..."

"What's the point of getting this job if you can't do this for your own girlfriend?" The girl huffed. "I could be dating Cesar Martinez. He works at the movie theater and he sneaks his friends in."

The guy had a painful look on his face when she said that. "Your birthday is coming up and..." He trailed off then let out a sigh. "Just buy the drink and I'll pay you back after my shift ends."

"Whatever," she muttered, handing him some money from her wallet. "Just pay me back whenever I see you at school. I'll be going to the mall with my friends."

His shoulders slumped. "I thought we could hang out after-"

"There's a sale in Cold Topic," she said. "Let's hang out on days you don't work. I like coffee but that doesn't mean I want to constantly be around it." With that, she went to the end of the counter where the orders are picked up, now engrossed with her phone and not giving her boyfriend another look.

I don't think I could possibly follow up that performance.

"Hi! Welcome to Starbooks! What can I get- Oh, it's you."

I feel so welcomed.

"What do you want?" The barista demanded.

"Henry, fix that attitude of yours, or else I'm putting you back on toilet duty," his manager snapped at him as he passed behind him.

Henry clenched his fist and exhaled. "Yes, sir." He gave me a fake smile and forced out, "What would you like today?"

"Iced green tea," I snarked, my eyes narrowed at him.

"And that would be for... Oh right. Nerdy Naomi." He had the nerve to smirk for calling me that creative nickname.

I shoved the money in his hand. Then I held out a dollar in front of him. I dangled it above the tip jar. His eyes were on the money like a dog watching a treat.

"Well, look at that," I mused. "I have this extra dollar just for tips."

I dropped it, then at the last moment, I grabbed it and put it in my pocket.

"Oh wait, I'm so sorry," I told him innocently. "That's only for people who actually deserve it."

His nostrils flared at that. "You're lucky my manager is here," Henry threatened. "But just wait once I see you at school, because I'll-"