>6< Vacuum

[01:51AM, December 23, UTC +08:00]

PAULA exhaled as the last spasms rode through her body and collapsed in a euphoric haze. She sighed tiredly when hairy powerful arms wrapped around her midsection, pulling her into a hug. She was never one for cuddling, but she knew he was and so she let it slide.  She chuckled as a rough ticklish sensation rubbed up her spine, and yelped when a sharp point pricked the back of her neck.

"Sorry," he murmured.
"I kinda liked that," she laughed, drawing lazy circles on his chest. He replied with a throaty chuckle and slowly slid his hand down to her lower back. She pulled back to look at his face and raised an eyebrow.

"Want to go again?"
"No," he said, smiling sheepishly. "Not yet. Just want to hold you."

She squirmed involuntarily. He frowned, and then exhaled tiredly.

"I broke a rule, didn't I?"
"Not your fault, really," she sighed, "with all your hormones flying about."

He stared at her for a moment, his eyes almost glowing in the dim lights. The intensity of his gaze scared her a little, and for a moment, she feared he would lash out or do something unpredictable.

"Sorry," he murmured. He looked away. She knew his feelings were hurt, but she really didn't see the need to apologize. He knew what he was getting into when they started this. She made sure she had spelled out all the rules. Keep things simple. Avoid unnecessary complications.

"I have to go to Wales," he said.
"Wha- why did you bring that up?"
"Just wanted to let you know. I was invited. Christmas dinner."
"Oh. Are you going to see her?"
He gave her a peculiar look before he replied. "Yes."
"Well, good luck with that."

He narrowed his eyes. "Are you jealous?"
"What?" She snorted mirthlessly. "Why would I be jealous? It's not like you're in a relationship with either of us."
"She's the mother of my children and we're lovers. Those are relationships, as far as I'm concerned."
"We're not lovers," she spat, pushing herself off him completely. "We get bored, we have sex, we go back to work. That's how this works."

He bristled and scowled at her and she returned his glare challengingly. Suddenly, he smiled.

"Come with me."
She blinked. "What?"
"We're just fuck buddies, right? So you'll have no problem with coming to a family dinner and-"
"Oh hell no," she said, shifting away from him. "That's crossing the line. Besides, do I look like the type to sit around making small talk with strangers and dancing around other people's feelings? I already have plans."
"You spend every Christmas watching old movies and eating unhealthy amounts of peanut butter," he scoffed.
"Those are plans," she said, flicking his nose. "And Gone with the Wind is a classic."
He winced and rubbed the spot. "Flick me all you want, I still want you to come. It'll be fun."

She harrumphed. "For you."
"Could be for you too," he said, propping his head up on his elbow. "It's at Maureen's."
"Ner?"
He nodded. She couldn't stop her lips from curling into a smile. Any chance she got to butt heads with the Ner witch – Adam's sister – was welcome, even though there was a good chance that she could end up pissing off Maureen while she was possessed by the Fairy queen Titania and get destroyed by an unfathomably powerful supernatural entity.

But the risk was half the fun.

"Sorry, when is it again?"

He grinned.

<->

Paula startled awake to the sound of a loud bang. She turned towards the bedside clock. It was almost eight. There were voices yelling outside her apartment, their words muffled by the walls, yet she could make out that one was male and the other female.