CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR
[24]

song: mortal projections by djo

A WEEK PASSED. Each night for the past four days there would be a search party for Tommy. Every family in Wayward would put on their coats and grab their flashlights to follow the Police department around different parts of the town. Daisy had gone to every single one. Kai said to play the terrified girlfriend, and so she did.

It was easier than it should've been, honestly. She'd 'cry' every night. She looked 'miserable' at school. She wanted to find him more more than anyone else— that's what she told everyone. People were kinder to her than usual, people she'd never even spoken to would come up to her at lunch and tell her that they hope she was doing okay. She nodded and smiled faintly, telling them that she knew Tommy was probably just upset from the break up, and that he was just taking a break from all this, and that he'd be home soon.

"Now if any of you know anything about Tommy Joseph's whereabouts, please contact the Wayward Police Department immediately." The principal spoke over the intercom. "And now for your daily announcements."

As the principal was replaced with overly chirpy student ambassadors to talk about the new lunch menu, Kai turned to Daisy and spoke in a whisper. "Want to go downtown tonight?" He asked.

Daisy frowned. "I should probably not be sneaking downtown when my boyfriend's search party is going on. Maybe Saturday though?"

He sighed and turned away. "We haven't gone on an actual date."

She glanced at him and then back to her paper. "We've been a little busy." She said in a hush tone.

Kai turned back to her. "I'll get my family to go to the search party tonight." He shrugs. "There. That can be a date."

"How romantic." She twiddled with her pencil.

"I know." Kai says, turning back to face the front of the classroom. Daisy glances up at him, and realized he didn't understand she was being sarcastic. She stifled a laugh and waited for class to start.

As lunch rolled around, she'd earned a few more stares than she had before this whole mess. She wandered over to her seat with Josette and Jen and sat down with her tray of food.

"Hi, Daze." Jen spoke, in a comforting tone.

Daisy could squirm. She didn't like it when people tried to comfort her in the first place, but especially coming from Jen. "Hi." Daisy responded softly.

Josette tried to lift the mood. "There's pumpkin pie today." She says, gesturing to the slice on her tray. "I think for all of November they're serving it—"

Jen shook her head subtly at Josette to shut her up, before turning back to Daisy. "How are you doing?" She asked.

Daisy was sick of answering the question, and it wasn't even the final round yet. "Fine." She mumbled back, staring emptily at her food.