𝐿𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑜𝑓 𝐿𝑖𝑒𝑠

Submission by iluhmesum

~

"Land of Lies" a poem by iluhmesum

~

I come from the United States of America. 

 The Land of Riches and Fame.

 The Land where You Dream and You Shall Receive. 

 The Land of Happiness and Opportunity, 

The Land of the "Free". 

But also the land in which you must slave for decades or centuries at a time and not get a smidgen of recognition for it. Also, the land where you'll be ridiculed for the features and skin that you've had since out the womb. Also, the land in which you don't know the difference between discriminatory ignorance and "constructive criticism."

The land where the history has more gaps than a 7-year-old's smile due to the pitiful false pride this country has submerged itself into — since it was stolen from the grasps of the original founders with the most brownest of skin; people who look like me, yet we don't acknowledge that, do we? We don't acknowledge that our economy was built from my ancestors buried deep into the Earth's crust, left to deteriorate and dust. We don't acknowledge the fact that the National Anthem nor was the Pledge of Allegiance wasn't made for my people (nor will it ever be) considering the fact that the people that looked like me so long ago wasn't in that conference room to commentate, they didn't write on the parchment that they slaved to process and make, and they DAMN sure couldn't have been in the presence of a Caucasian with their very breaths being threatening to their lives.

But remember, I come from the United States of America. 

 The Land of Riches and Fame, 

 The Land where You Dream and You Shall Receive, 

 The Land of Happiness and Opportunity, 

 The Land of the "Free". 

 But be wary of the consequences of stepping onto foreign land; Lord knows how patriotic that could get!