Finals (J)

"What do I do, Jules?" The exhausted goaltender groans as she flops down on the couch. "I never expected to make it this far. I'm so nervous. What if I can't do it?"

"You can do it," I assure her. "You guys beat Utica 6-0 on Tuesday. You got what has to be the most amazing shutout of your career. It's okay to be nervous, but trust me when I say that the Albany Capitals can totally win the 2019 Smithson Cup. They can and they will defeat the Lackawanna Yellow Jackets."

South Tower sits up, and a small smile crosses her face. "Thanks for the encouragement, Julia. This series is huge. Considering that I was playing professional hockey for the first time in ten years at the beginning of this season, I am extremely lucky to have made it this far."

"Ooh, use that in an interview!" My husband, David, exclaims as he walks into the room. He's holding our five-and-a-half-month-old son Ilya, and our six-year-old daughter Miriam is skipping close behind him.

"Let's go Capitals!" Miriam yells, then thinks for a moment. "The Albany Capitals, of course."

"Thanks, kid," South Tower grins at my daughter. "Well, guys, you've been great, but I have to go. It's my last practice before Game One of the Finals, and I don't want to miss it."

"Go ahead, kid," I tell her. "I wish you all good luck."

"Thank you," South Tower hugs me one last time before teleporting back to Albany.

"Do you really think they're going to win?" David asks me once she's gone.

"Of course I do," I answer. "They've played incredibly for the entire regular season and the past three playoff rounds. I think they have the strength and confidence to beat Lackawanna now that they're in the Finals."

David smiles warmly. "I think they can do it too. They really deserve that Smithson Cup."

My phone rings a couple of minutes later, and I see that the caller is my close friend Ryan.

I grin and answer the call. "What's up, kid?"

"You won't believe what my dad just did!" Ryan exclaims. "It's actually a good thing this time."

"Great to hear," I tell her, walking to my kitchen to grab something to drink. "What did he do?"

"He threw a giant surprise party to congratulate Mohammed on making the Smithson Cup Finals!" Ryan squeals. "Then he gave a huge speech on how he'd been against the relationship between Mohammed and I at first, but now he's a changed man and all. He's more accepting and willing to learn about people from different countries and cultures. He also talked about how impressed he is with Mohammed's performance on the ice and how he'll score all the goals in the Finals."

"Wow," I whisper as I pour myself a glass of wine. "It sounds like he's really trying to not discriminate against Mohammed or your dating him like he used to do."

"I'm pretty sure he's legit, too," Ryan continues. "Like, he really looks interested while talking to Mohammed, and it doesn't sound like he's lying when he tells him that he's a great player and person. It looks like he's really trying to form a friendship with my boyfriend and learn how to be more accepting of his beliefs and culture."

"I'm very happy to hear that," I grin. "Well, tell Mohammed that I wish him good luck in the finals. Talk to you soon!"

"You too, Jules!" Ryan replies. After saying our goodbyes, I hang up and walk into the family room, a wide smile etched onto my face.

The next day, a Monday, is the day of Game 1. The first game of the 2019 Smithson Cup Finals is eventful. By the end of the third period, two line brawls have happened and ten goals have been scored.

Albany loses three minutes into overtime, though, and Lackawanna grabs the lead in the series.

Thankfully, Mohammed al-Hashim does give a little bit of light to the darkness, earning first star of the game with his two goals and three assists.

He gives a little bit of hope to the team. The second game of the series is two days later, and Albany wins the game 8-4, effectively tying the series at one win apiece.

On the bus to Lackawanna, which is where the third and fourth games of the Finals will take place, Ryan calls me. She enthusiastically tells me that her father bought an al-Hashim jersey and that he will be attending all of the home games that Albany has in the Smithson Cup Finals.

"And get this, Julia!" Ryan gasps. "He bought a big United Arab Emirates flag to wave around when Mohammed does something good for the team! Never in a million years would I have imagined my dad buying the flag of a country in the Middle East."

"He's changed so much," I notice. "This is a really big jump for him."

"Yeah," Ryan agrees. "I just hope that he stays this way. Maybe it will motivate the team to win!"

The next two games, however, do not go well. The Yellow Jackets win a blowout Game 3 by a score of 6-0, and they take Game 4 with a 4-3 regulation win. This means that if Albany loses Game 5, they lose the Cup.

I get another call from Ryan on June fifth, one day before Game 5. It's a morning phone call, which is pretty rare for her. When I answer, I am pleasantly surprised to see Mohammed sitting by Ryan's side.

"It's great to see you both!" I exclaim. "How are you feeling about the game?"

Mohammed sighs. "I'm aware of the consequences if we lose this game, but I honestly think that we're going to win. This team has the guts and the strength to take this thing back from the Yellow Jackets. I've seen us play, and I've seen the way we act off the ice. I know we can do this."

"I know you can," I assure him. "You can do this, Mohammed."

After a few more minutes of talking, I hang up with a sigh.

Will my best friends win their do-or-die game?