Party (ST)

"I'm glad we chose to have the party here," Ryan Jensen declares, crossing her arms and looking down at the city below her.

The Albany Capitals and their significant others are all gathered together on the 102nd floor of the One World Trade Center building in New York City. The date is Saturday, June 15, 2019, and it has been almost three full days since we won the Smithson Cup.

"This building has meaning to all of us," my sister states, and the rest of the team nods in agreement.

"Plus, the view is simply top-notch," I throw my hands up in the air, and my sister laughs.

"Just like your saves!" She exclaims, and Mohammed al-Hashim nods.

"This place is the perfect place for a proposal," Mitch Targonski says out of nowhere. I turn to look at Mohammed, and he makes a weird face.

"Don't look at me," Mohammed shrugs. "I mean, I love Ryan and all, but it's been literally five months."

Ryan laughs out loud, and I just grin at the perfection of it all.

Everything about this is my dream. I'm with some of my closest friends and loved ones, celebrating the fact that my team worked hard enough to win the biggest trophy in our league. Three days ago, we all became champions together.

No one thought we were going to win the Smithson Cup after we dropped the fourth game of the series. Sports journalists commented on our lack of enthusiasm and said that we were not acting like a winning team.

After we won Game 5, some eyebrows were raised. The journalists who had criticized us for having such a large deficit in the Cup Finals now had their eyes on us, hoping for a miracle. Coming back from a three-game deficit in the finals was always a big deal, and it had only happened a handful of times in the NYHL's ninety-year history. People watched us with great interest, wondering if we could pull it off.

We won Game 6, and everyone went crazy. Sports journalists and reporters were talking about us constantly. They wondered if we could actually manage to complete the comeback by beating Lackawanna in the deciding game.

When we won Game 7, it was practically like the Kingdom, which is where my sister and I had gone immediately after we were attacked, had come down to Earth. It was like time froze in place when my sister's shot became the game-winner. I felt so happy, so lucky, and so excited that my team managed to come back and win it all.

"Can you believe this?" My sister says as she leans against the window, almost like she's reading my thoughts. "The Smithson Cup in our first year back."

"It's really incredible," I walk up and stand beside her. "I wasn't expecting to make it this far. I mean, of course I believed that we were a good team and could make it to any round if we worked hard enough, but it was still so amazing when we were actually able to win it all. And your triple overtime goal was just incredible!"

"Thank you," my sister smiles. "I'm quite proud of it myself. And I'm proud of you, too! 82 saves? I've never seen anything like it."

I blush. "Thank you, North Tower. I'm glad that we did this together. It made the whole experience so much more special."

North Tower nods. "Yeah, it did."

Before our conversation can go any further, I hear the sound of metal tapping on glass, signaling that someone is about to give a toast. I turn to face the front of the room and am pleasantly surprised to see my own father, James Staten, preparing to speak.

"Good afternoon, everyone, and welcome to the World Trade Center," Dad starts. "We are here to honor the wonderful players of the Albany Capitals professional ice hockey team and their families. Three days ago, this Capitals team did what every other NYHL team only dreamed of doing: they won the Smithson Cup. It took an unbelievable amount of sheer determination, strength, and hard work, but they still managed to capture the best trophy of all at the end."

My sister and I glance at each other and smile.

"This team stuck together," our father continues. "This team acted like a family. My own twin daughters over there have told me that this is true. In January, they and another Capitals player, Mohammed al-Hashim, were told that they would be participating in the NYHL All-Star games in Boston, Massachusetts. Partners and spouses were allowed to come along. This was no problem for my daughters and their husbands, but it was a problem for Ryan, Mohammed's wonderful girlfriend. Her father would not allow her to go with Mohammed just because of his nationality and religion. Now, before I go on, I just want to say that this is all in the past. Mr. Jensen is much more accepting than he used to be, and I respect him for that."

Ryan's father nods, and my father smiles. "Well, in January, Mr. Jensen still held the belief that all Muslims and Middle Eastern people are terrorists that hate America. He would not allow his daughter to date anyone that was part of the religion or was of the nationality that he distrusted. However, this team got together and decided that Ryan was going to go to Boston with Mohammed despite her father's protest. They teamed up and bought her a ticket. How about that?"

The team and their guests cheer loudly, and Ryan and Mohammed smile.

"Some of the members also managed to help Mr. Jensen realize that the horrible things that occurred on September 11, 2001 are not the fault of every Muslim or Middle Eastern person," my father adds. "Thank you for changing for the better, Russell!"

The team cheers again, and Ryan's father earns himself a couple of joyous pats on the back from our teammates.

"Well, James, thank you for the shoutout," Russell Jensen nods at my father. "I'd also like to say something."

"Of course," Dad sits down and lets Mr. Jensen talk.

"Well, first of all, I want to congratulate this amazing group of hockey players on their championship," Mr. Jensen starts. "You worked very hard, and all of us here appreciate your effort. Now, if I could please have Ryan, my daughter, and Mohammed al-Hashim stand over here?"

Ryan and Mohammed approach Ryan's father. Mr. Jensen gives a pair of tickets to Mohammed, who hands them to Ryan.

Ryan looks down at the tickets, gasps, and hugs her boyfriend.

"Sam Fransisco!" Ryan squeals. "How did you know that's my favorite?"

"Your father told me," Mohammed says as he buries his face in Ryan's shoulder.

Ryan goes over and hugs her father. "Thanks, Dad."

"No problem," Mr. Jensen smiles. "I love you, and I also accept who you love."

"Thank you," Ryan embraces her father some more, and I feel so happy.

This has been the best season ever.