22. Shooting

I had found a loophole in some paperwork that meant Jake and I could get all of our money back from the wedding due to the bomb. We had gone on a deluxe honeymoon and had a wonderful time relaxing. When we arrived home we'd received a text saying that we needed to get to work as soon as we could due to an emergency. Jake and I dump our suitcases in our house and get to the precinct as fast as we can.

When we get there, the squad is in the briefing room. Jake and I quietly sit down so as not to disturb Holt who has just begun talking. An 18 year old girl named Alice Smith has gone missing. Her family suggest her boyfriend, Jason Walker, took her, they used to fight a lot and had recently has a huge argument. She had gone out last night but hadn't returned which was unusual for her. Her parents didn't know who she was supposed to be meeting or where she was going.

Holt assigns everyone tasks. Jake and I are told to go to her address to see if there are any cameras nearby. Jake drives us to the address, it's only ten minutes away. Luckily there is a shop across the road from the house with CCTV footage. Alice's parents said she was planning to go out at around 9PM so we start the footage just before. There are lights on in the house and there's a white BMW X5 parked outside the house. At 9:02 the lights go off and Alice steps outside and gets into the passenger side of the car. I make a note of the car and note down what Alice is wearing, a white hoodie with black leggings and shoes. The car sets off and turns down a corner, I note down it's registration number - AX62SNG.

When we arrive back at the precinct we're greeted by Holt. "Find anything?"
I look down at my note book. "Alice left her house at 9:02PM wearing a white hoodie with black leggings and shoes. She got into a white BMW X5 with a registration number AX62SNG. I'm going to check who it belongs to on the system now."
Holt nods. "Go to the address it's registered to with Peralta. Call for backup if you need to."
"On it, sir."

I immediately go to my desk and sign into my computer. I type in the cars registration number and wait for the details to load. My suspicions was right, it belonged to Jason Walker, her boyfriend. I note down his address, 53 Waterside Avenue. Then I quickly check our records just in case, but he had no previous convictions so I log out of the computer.

I look up at Jake, he's staring at me. I frown a little. "What?"
"Nothing, you just looked so focused." He grins.
I shake my head but can't help a small smile. "Come on, we don't have time for this right now. The car belongs to her boyfriend, we need to go to 53 Waterside Avenue."
"Bossy as ever."
I shake my head and gently hit his arm as we walk to the car.

I look over at Jake as we start the drive. "What're you thinking about?"
"I know the exam isn't for another two years but I was just thinking that you'll make a great sergeant."
I raise my eyebrows in surprise. "You do?"
He nods. "You're always so focused on that you should be doing and you're good at commanding people already."
I smile slightly. "Yeah, I guess so." We sit in comfortable silence for the rest of the journey, the address is twenty minutes away and is in a surprising nice area. As the name suggests, it's very close to a river... A good place for disposing of a body. I shudder. The BMW is outside the house.

I walk up the path and knock on door 53. It opens almost immediately. "Jason Walker?" He nods.
Jake and I show our badges. "I'm detective Y/N, this is my partner, detective Peralta. We're with the NYPD. Mind if we ask you some questions?"
He looks very surprised but let's us in.

Jake and I sit across from Jason. I open my notebook as I ask the first question. "You're in a relationship with Alice Smith?"
"Yes, for just over a year."
"Do you argue a lot?"
"Not really, we have the occasional row, like every couple."
"Have you had a row recently?"
He looks thoughtful for a moment. "Yes. About a week ago."
"What about?"
"She wanted to break up, I didn't."
"And did you?"
"No."
"Where were you last night at 9PM?"
"I didn't go out at all yesterday, I was here all day."
"Would you care to explain why a white BMW X5 registered to you, which is now parked outside your house, collected Alice from her house at 9.02PM yesterday if you were here all day?"
He opens his mouth to speak and then doesn't.
"How about you tell me the truth for this question then. Where did you take Alice last night and why didn't she make it home?"
He sighs. "I picked her up and brought here here last night. We had another row about splitting up and she stormed out."
"You didn't go after her?"
"No."

Suddenly there's some muffled noises coming from upstairs. "What's that?"
He shrugs.
"Mind if we take a look?"
"Sure... But you won't find anything."
I nod to Jake and we make our way upstairs. I open the bedroom door and immediately recognise Alice, though her face is now covered in blood. I look to Jake. "I think we should call for backup." He nods and calls Holt. I reassure Alice as I gently untie her.
"They're coming as fast as they can."
I nod. "We can't stay up here forever though, he must know we've found her."
He nods. "Alright, let's go downstairs then."
"I'll distract him, you get her outside and call an ambulance."
"Are you sure?" He frowns.
"Yes."

I hold my gun out in front of me as I slowly walk down the stairs, Jake slowly helps Alice down the stairs behind me. I go into the living room. He's disappeared. I'm about to turn around. When a hand clamps down over my mouth. "Be quiet and I won't hurt you, cop."
I nod and he removes his hand. I turn and point my gun at him."
"I'd put that down if I were you." He pulls his own gun out of his pocket and points it at me. I slowly put my gun down onto the floor. He kicks it further away from me. "You're going to do exactly as I say if you don't want to end up dead."
I nod in agreement. He drags me by my hair so I'm further away from the door but I'm now facing it. "Call for your partner."
"What? Why would I do that?"
"Do it."
I shake my head. And make a bolt for the door.
He grabs me by my hair and puts the gun to my head. "Do it or I'll shoot you."
I take a deep breath as a few tears roll down my cheeks. "Jake?"
He immediately enters the room and draws his gun when he sees what's going on.
Jason laughs. "Put that down or I'm going to shoot her."
Jake puts his gun down. "You know this won't end well, Jason. Do you want to spend extra time in prison?"
He shakes his head. "Oh I won't be spending any time in prison. Give me back Alice and you can both leave now, but if you speak a word I'll kill you both."
"That's not how things work, Jason."
I'm relieved to hear sirens and see a cop car and an ambulance pull up outside. Jason's head turns to the side as Holt bursts through the door, followed by the others.

I use the distraction to hit Jason hard in the face with my elbow. He lets go of my hair to hold his nose so I quickly run forwards but Jason sticks his foot out. I trip over it and hit my head hard on the table. I groan and roll onto my back. "Stupid bitch." Jason mumbles as he points his gun at my side. He looks at the others. "Don't move or I'll shoot her."
I was already going dizzy, I couldn't focus on anything. Suddenly there was a loud bang and pain ripped through my side. Another bang, then the thud of Jason as he hit the floor.

Jake rushes over to me as Holt puts pressure on my side. I gently reach up to wipe a tear from his face. "I'll be okay." I mumble.
He grabs my hand and kisses my forehead. "Help will be here soon."
"Mmhmm." I mumble as my eyelids start to droop.
"Babe? Please try to keep your eyes open. I love you."
"I love you too..." My eyes close just as the paramedics come in.

Sorry I haven't updated in a while, I'll try not to keep you on a cliffhanger for too long... 😉
Thank you for reading!