chapter nine

It's humid and Crisostomo could feel the sweat rolling off his back. God, he has only been outside for a couple of minutes and he's already sticky with sweat. Typical Philippine weather. They are supposed to be practicing for the dance at the Buwan ng Wika today with the other sections and so far only a number of them had arrived, including the instructor. And of course, being part of the student government and despite having minimal skills for dance, he has no choice but to take part in the program. The performance is due for next week, and they are yet to perfect some of the steps.

Their PE teacher, Ms. Reyes jogs towards the stage and shushes everyone. Crisostomo sits at the bleachers, next to Maria Clara, who is listening intently. 'Alright, everyone, since this is due for next week na, you will be practicing with the other sections para hindi kayo gulo-gulo sa mismong araw—' This earns a few chuckles from others. 'Okay, I will be doing a roll call. Please come in front when your pair is called.'

'Santiago and Peralta!'

'Arellano and Barrameda!'

It is ranked per section, which means Crisostomo's section was first. He braces himself for his name to be called, which they turned out to be the last. 'Ibarra and delos Santos!' He holds out his hand for Maria, still looking pointedly at the ground, ignoring the jabs and hoots from the other students, and walks in front of the stage. They hadn't been talking since... well the kiss, rather the kisses happened. Or more like, Crisostomo hasn't been talking to Maria. He feels bad, like he had been cheating. But is it really cheating, since he and Elias are...

Well, they're a thing now. Right?

He hadn't realized that he had been standing there, just staring at the distance until Ms. Reyes had called the first name from the other section. A certain name rang in his ears.

'Bonifacio and de Jesus!'

His head snaps to his side, where Elias is walking... with another girl.

Crisostomo turns his direction to Ms. Reyes, trying his best to look focused but his mind is swirling. Fuck, he made a promise not to think of him today. He's supposed to be just concentrating on telling Maria Clara and now Elias is... just there. He risks a glance in his direction and saw that he's conversing animatedly with each other, his crinkly eyes are slitted, with a certain kind of glint to them. He couldn't see the girl's face since she has her back turned from him.

The dance is surprisingly complicated, with a lot of turns and complex maneuvering, but it's nothing Cris can't handle. Or so he thinks. He's gripping Maria's hand so tightly, she lets out a quiet yelp. 'Cris!'

He blinks and lets go of Maria like she was made of fire. 'Shit, sorry, MC-'

'It's fine...' She looks away, making Crisostomo feels guiltier.

They really needed to talk. Since he can't exactly deny his feelings for Elias now, he can't keep leading Maria on. He only hopes they would stay friends still.

The practice started earlier than he expected. Crisostomo lets Jon McLaughlin's So Close (honestly, who chose this song?) fills his ears as he rehearses the dance, his heart not quite with it. He sneaks another glance on Elias, but finds that the other boy is already staring. Crisostomo whips his head, almost missed a step but luckily didn't. He brought Maria Clara even closer to him, determined not to look at Elias ever again.

'Cris?'

Crisostomo grunts, focusing more on the dance now.

'I've been,' she sighs, 'Wanting to ask this, but I guess I've been, I don't know, afraid? I... are we okay?' There was something about Maria Clara's voice that made him focus his gaze at her directly.