Chapter 1 - The Stranger

Chapter 1

Thump.

"Ow! What the hell Mimi?" I said as I rubbed the back of my head, brushing the crumbs that the impact left out of my hair. I turned around to face my agitated friend as I noticed the donut hole she chucked at my head roll across the tiled flooring of the cafe.

"Oh Dios mío, chica. Were you even listening to me?" She said with a stern look as she put her hands on her curvy, Spanish hips that were covered by the deep green apron containing her name tag and the 'Ambrosia Cafe' logo.

"Sorry, I was daydreaming." I shamefully looked down to pick at my nails that had chipping blue nail polish carelessly painted on.

That's what I like to call my 'feminine practices', just to get Mimi off my back about 'not acting like a girl'. It's kind of funny that she and I are even friends since our personalities are so contrary. However, we met each other in my psychology class when she so boldly sat next to me to introduce herself as a Spanish princess sent from Spain to study the lifestyles of the monotonous Americans, making sure to lay on a heavy Spanish accent. The moment I burst into laughter at the ridiculousness of her given background, she took a liking to me. Apparently she does that to test peoples' reactions, and mine was by far the best.

She sighed dramatically before continuing on what I presume she was trying to tell me earlier. "Mrs. Boss lady said that we have to stay late tonight because Sarah couldn't come in today to do clean up." She said without breaking eye contact, most likely to keep me from zoning out again. I let out a disappointed sigh before nodding to turn back to the cash register, pretending to await the nonexistent customers. Who would come to a cafe at 9:30 at night anyway?

Ding.

My head shot up to the front entrance to see a man dressed in a black hoodie and dark jeans slowly walk up to the cash register, looking everywhere but straight ahead. His hood was up, but you could see black, rogue hair seeping out, framing his unbelievably perfect masculine face. I couldn't help but check out our newest customer, despite the time of night. How can a human being have such flawless facial featured? Such broad shoulders and muscular neck that flexed as he move his head.

"Good evening, what may I get you?" I said politely, despite his rather cryptic appearance. After I spoke, he seemed to suddenly notice my existence and he finally moved to meet my gaze. Instantly my eyes were trapped in his entrancing, inky black eyes.

"Yes... I'd like a coffee, black." He said alluringly. His voice... It's so familiar.

It took me a moment to find my voice and pry my eyes away from his deep eyes and strong, flexing jaw. "O-okay, one moment." I stuttered pathetically as I turned to walk to the back counter to prepare his coffee.

As I was pulling out a new, disposable coffee cup, Mimi came up placed her hand on my shoulder with a grin. "He is HOT! Oh my god, muy caliente." She said excitedly.

"Well then why don't you go talk to him?" I teased with a quiet chuckle.

"I think I will." She said with determination as she left my side to talk with this, definitely hot, stranger. I shook my head and smiled at her coquettishness.

"Hey, I'm Maria." I heard her say up at the register seductively, adding a Spanish accent to her name and rolling the 'r'. I almost burst out laughing at how she'd said it, but instead a clapped a hand to my mouth the stifle the giggle.

"Hi." Was his lame response. Usually they fall at her feet the minute she says 'hello'.

"I've never seen you here before, did you just move here or something?" She pried flirtatiously.