Twenty-One

•••

At the intersection of where boredom and disinterest collide, a small, safe have has been carved out for fond memories. Memories like these, for the boy of nightmares, are few and far between. Nep comprised most of them, his brother, a few.

Gideon taps into his fond memories while standing opposite 1809 Melbourne Way, a relic now more so than a house as it was newly sandwiched between the upscale condos of Gideon's perversion.

It reeks of her father's magic. Layer and layer wound around the house, preventing it from Gideon's initial perversion. But like all subpar magic, it has its weaknesses. Like dominoes, knock one down, and the whole goes a tumbling. It won't be long before the house is his.

As he stands there undoing strand after strand of slovenly applied magic, he senses it throughout magic's tapestry - Peneloper's magic. Strong, nourished. Calling out to him. The revelation forces him to stumble into the bustling street. Passing cars honk their horns. Drivers wave their fists and lob slurs at him. He ignores it all.

His Nep had called to him. By name. Gideon.

 He closes his eyes, finds the magic, pulls on it hoping to unravel every strand until he finds hers among the millions, but it's gone as quickly as it appeared. He can't find her. There is only darkness, no stars to light his way.

Regardless, he smiles. The return of Peneloper's magic signals the restoration of her memories. It wouldn't be much longer until she returned to the Oaks and failed in whatever plan she'd constructed to defeat him. 

He'd pervert her, and they'd finally be together. His place at her side, cemented. And with the power the King offered him, he wouldn't be able to be erased by anyone, ever again. No longer would the magic elite call his birth an accident of the universe, or an oversight of magic. Gideon's life was not a mistake. His, was a heart that beat with purpose. They'd see. They'd all see.

• Thru These Walls •

Thru These Walls

"And what of your beloved brother?"

 Gideon stared at his hand, the flaps of its makeshift lips moving under the glove, readying another verbal assault. It had asked a stupid question and deserved an equally stupid response.

Gideon would end Crispen. Obviously. The details of his brother's demise had swirled around in his head constantly.

To start, Gideon would sever Crispen's connection to magic. Then he'd lock him away. To rot in solitary darkness until the worlds and everyone living in them forgot he existed. Crispen had no right to live, while Gideon had been sentenced to oblivion. A small taste of that fate was the least of what Crispen deserved. 

"He'll get what's coming to him," Gideon said, conviction in his words. He'd meant to hurt his brother as he'd been hurt, to make him bleed and cry. Scream at the edge of extinction, and suffer an eternity, or two, knowing only anguish.