Twenty-Eight, Part One

•••

The layers reverberate with Never's defeat. The sword obliterates his being and he returns to the ether at the atomic level. He is not dead, yet, but he has been stopped, and with his essence scattered to the wind, it could take him decades or eons to return, if ever he does. For now, Peneloper and all those in the know, can relax, kick up their heels and sip some of Death's favorite chamomile tea.

Death especially, relishes in the victory as he dreaded making an appearance in the story, as the drive would be laborious, jam-packed with traffic, and by the time he made the round trip back from Potter Oaks, it'd be night, he'd be exhausted and would still have to water his herb garden. Not to mention, he'd miss out on the weekly bridge tournament, where his next opponents were to be Peneloper's Apathy and Boredom.

Death celebrates. Mr. Pale smiles as he and Anderson share a glass of brandy. Though Anderson's glass is a shade pinker than Mr. Pale's, Mr. Pale sees no harm in indulging his assistant's baser impulses, especially on occasions like this. He lets the vampire drink to his heart's content.

Kelpner Finn and the Council, share a fifth pot of coffee. Quinceton lights his pipe. Welda orders a pizza extra anchovies, the wriggling still-alive kind known to make eye-contact right before teeth were sunk into their necks. The eldest on the Council smiles, recognizing when a moment ought to be savored. He also congratulates himself on identifying in Peneloper a rising talent, a true star, shining bright, one that ought not be stored in any mason jars. She's been a real protagonist, slathered in that extra bit of something that made her exceptional.

He reflects upon his earlier narration and how someone should start jotting down Miss Auttsley's story. So he will, he does. 

Opening up his laptop, and utilizing the sticky note apps, Kelpner begins jotting down the finer points of the story, adding his own flair and sense of humor to the mix, certain the readers will come to appreciate it. After all, if he hadn't been seated on the Council, he would have been a stand-up comedian and his spiel about PB and Sardine sandwiches would have slain.

 After all, if he hadn't been seated on the Council, he would have been a stand-up comedian and his spiel about PB and Sardine sandwiches would have slain

• Wear My Hat •

Peneloper Auttsley sank to her feet. Her magic gazed at her, with its identical eyes, the sword slipping from her fingers, as the magic began unraveling. Peneloper reached out, her fingers swiping through her magical version's arm, and thanked it. From the bottom of her heart, she thanked it, and her magic, still resembling her though more transparent, winked before it disappeared.

Peneloper leaned over and smiled. "Hey."

Gideon shook his head, patted himself down. Then he brought his gloved hand to his face, took off the glove, and prodded the flesh. He blinked in surprise. "How'd you-"

Her smile grew. "Nothing that is can defeat what was never."

"Yeah-" Gideon croaked. "So you-"

"I created something that never existed." Her gaze sank to her shoes, and she fidgeted with the sleeve of her hoodie. Overhead the clouds broke, and sunlight rained down on them. Gideon's skin absorbed the light, while Peneloper seemed to glow. "It's kind of embarrassing to delve into details."