Chapter seventeen ~ His mother...?

Adriana's Pov-

My heart jumped when I felt a presence sit opposite me, I instantly snapped my head up to see a middle aged woman. A crooked smile played on her thin pink lips, her blonde hair was messily scraped back into a pony tail and her outfit looked like it had zero planning to it, just shoved on.

Her blue eyes pierced through me, you could tell that this woman definitely would be pretty...if she was a little more put together.

"Hello, Adriana" Her voice snapped, reminding me that she's possibly the one who's been sending the texts.

She leant forward a little, the smell of alcohol and smoke filling my senses. It didn't take me long to realise that the nasty stench was coming from her, her long fingers brushed a piece of her messy hair away from her face.

"You? Your the one sending the texts?" She only nodded when I said this. A sly smile spread across her face, instantly making me uncomfortable.

"But why? What have my grandparents done to you...and how do you even know my name, my number even!" I didn't know where the confidence and bravery was coming from, I just new I couldn't show this stranger how worried I actually was.

She laughed, folding her arms over her chest. "Your grandparents have taken a lot from me, Adriana" She sneered, completely ignoring my other questions.

"Like what?" I quickly answered, holding my chin high. There was no way I was letting this woman intimidate me.

"Do you mean me, mother?" A familiar deep voice rang out.

I jumped when a pair of large hands slammed down in the middle of the table, my green eyes snatched up to see...Trevor?

Did he follow me here? Wait, did he just say that this is his mother!? Suddenly, the foul smell of alcohol and her telling me that my grandparents stole from her, began to make sense...she was talking about Trevor, she thinks they stole her son?

"Trevor, baby boy" She shot up from the seat, cupping his cheeks.

A laugh of disbelief left his lips as he stepped back, her hands falling from his face and landing back down by her sides. "You lost the privilege to call me your 'baby boy' a very long time ago"

I felt my chest tighten, my heart hurt so freaking much for him. I watched as Trevor's mom sat back down, staring down at the table.

"Your threatening the two people who brought me up since I was fourteen, seriously?" He spat, before I new it I was being gently pulled from my seat.

Tingles emerged through my body as Trevor pulled me into his side, his arm securely wrapping around my waist. My eyes flickered over at his mom, who was glaring at me.

"Your getting cosy with this rich girl huh, you do know she would never stay with a man like you. We don't work like that son, she comes from money and you don't..."

My eyes widened at her words, how could she speak about her own child like that! Putting him down like he's nothing. And to even say that I was that type of girl? I was not having this.

"Oh shut up, Matilda" Trevor spoke up before I had the chance, his grip on me tightening.

She looked up at him shocked, for calling her by her actual name. "I'm desperate, Trevor. I need money" The words rolled from her tongue. "She" she pointed at me. "She can help me, you can give me money right?" Her eyes welled up, looking over at me.

"To feed your filthy habit?" Trevor said. She just looked at him, before shaking her head.

"No, I'm going to buy an apartment..i-"

"What? You're are going to change, blah blah blah. I've heard it all before! You have been telling me that since I was five years old mother, fucking five years old!"

"Do you have any idea how scared I was? Your own daughter brought me up, while you got drunk every night. Your slowly killing yourself!...I was fourteen Mom, fourteen years old and searching through trash for food, because you had spent all the money on your precious alcohol"

Her throat seemed to dry up, she gulped looking up at Trevor. Even I was scared of the angry tone in his voice, something made me feel like this was the first time he was standing up for himself, finally letting his mom feel the guilt, the hurt and the pain.

"You know the saddest thing...after how much you have betrayed me, I still can't hate you" Hurt laced in his voice, I felt tears brimming in my eyes as I watched him pour his heart out to his pathetic excuse of a mother.

"So don't you dare say that Mr and Mrs Wilson's stole me from you, when you didn't even have me to begin with" He let go of me, pulling out a twenty dollar bill from his pack pocket and chucking it towards her.

She grabbed it, clinging onto it for dear life.

Trevor let out a huff, staring at her as she shoved the money into her pocket with no shame. "That's all the proof I need mother, you will never change. Now take the money and don't ever threaten or even come near Adriana or the Wilson's again. Just like you abandoned me, I'm going to abandon you" And with that he was walking towards the exit.

I glanced at the people staring, before taking another look at Matilda. She just stared at me with no emotion on her face what so ever. "You know, your son is an amazing hard working guy. And your daughter, Belle...she's beautiful. I'm just glad they didn't turn out like you, you should be ashamed"

I watched as she looked away from me, with a shake of my head I ran out of the door, jogging over towards Trevor. He stopped at his truck, his back to me as his hand rested on the drivers door handle.

"Trev-"

"I'm already embarrassed enough, Adriana. Let's just get back to the farm" He cut me off, swinging open his door.

I frowned, watching as he slumped inside. My feet began moving, pulling open the passenger door and hopping into his truck, listening to the soft music that began playing on the radio.

•••