16. Apples

Arianna De Luca

"I might have an idea."

As soon as those words left my mouth, every head in the room, turned towards me. I looked at Dario as if asking permission to speak.

"Go ahead," Dario said and I nodded.

"Bob, can you please prepare a syringe of the liquid drug which can be consumed orally and hand it over to me?" I sceptically asked.

"Sure, Donna." Bob replied and left the room.

I turned towards the bowl of apple and shot a question to the group. "What fruit is readily available now and is purchased by almost everyone?"

"Peaches?" Matteo suggested and I shook my head negative. "Peaches can be expensive for some people."

"Apples?" Paul suggested and just then, Bob walked in with the syringe I asked for.

"Apples, exactly." I said and took an apple from the bowl in front of me.

"We can take apples and inject the drugs in them." I did what I said. "If policemen happen to examine our men, they'll think the person just bought regular apples. Our customers can juice them and/or bite into it straight away,"

An impressed smirk took over Dario's face and strangely I felt good by that. I was happy that I impressed him.

"How will we distinguish them from normal apples?" Matteo asked.

"Sticker labels. The stickers on them will bear a mark, say a blue or black dot indicating they're loaded with drugs. One can easily see it and they won't be something to doubt about too,"

"What about the powered form?" The man with the laptop asked.

"Flour bags. It's old-school but it always works. We can hide small pouches of them in bags of flour and mark those bags, as I said before, so that it'll look perfectly normal when someone sees it from afar." I said and everyone nodded their head.

"What about the ones that are injected in the veins? We can't inject them in the apples and neither can we hid them in pouches." Bob said and I shook my head sideways.

"I have no idea." I said and looked down.

"Easy. It's the start of the cold seasons right now and it's very common for people to fall sick. We'll fill those liquid drugs in medical bottles and supply them normally. We'll have our men dress up as someone from a medical shop and have those delivered to the doorstep of our customers. No one will think a person working in a medical shop will deliver drugs. Especially in broad daylight." Matteo said and a small smile grazed my features.

"Problem solved then?" The man with the laptop asked Dario and after a moment passed he hesitantly nodded his head.

"I'm okay with the plan but I wanna know how did the police got these information. Last I knew only Portuguese Mafia and Australian Mafia deal in drugs apart from us."

"Don, the mole we had a month ago might've fed the information." Paul replied sceptically.

"That fucker didn't tell the whole truth even on his death bed." Dario grunted in anger and clenched his jaw.

"Anyways, gentleman let's all start with the plan. We'll need a lot of apples and tons of flour sacks along with empty bottles from a pharmacy." Matteo ordered.

"Sir we'll arrange the apples and the flour bag but it'll be difficult arranging the medicine tubes. Why will a pharmacist give them away normally?" The man with the laptop asked.

"Are you a kid or did you forgot everything you learned while you were given training here in your initial days? Bribe him and if that doesn't work what is that gun you have for? Threaten him." Dario angrily said and stood up from his chair making everyone else stand up from there.

I was about to stand up too but Matteo held my arm, silently gesturing me not to. I turned and saw he was sitting too and I furrowed my eyebrows at him.

Matteo leaned towards me and spoke in a hush voice. "You are his wife and I'm his underboss. His men can't but we have the right to sit in front of him."

"Oh." I said and sat straight.

"Get to your work." Dario commanded and everyone scurried away. Matteo too left the room shortly. Now it was just me and him in the meeting room.

I turned towards him and offered him a smile. He said nothing and grabbed my waist. He picked me up and sat me on his desk, in front of him. He parted my legs and stood in between them, wrapping me in his arms.

He said nothing and attacked my neck. He started placing small kisses here and there before I cupped his face in my hands and made him look me in the eyes.

"I'm sorry I spoke in like that. I know you said not to interrupt but when the idea struck me, I involuntarily started speaking." I said with apologetic eyes.

"You kidding me? Everyone loved the idea and you have no idea how turned on I am right now." He said and smashed his lips on mine.

Okay then.