Chapter 4

Katelyn was out for a run in her wolf form. Her wolf was beautiful. She was solid black but a midnight black, her fur was so dark it had a blue sheen to it. Her eyes were a deep midnight blue. She had gotten home from getting her tattoo later then she thought and got caught up in talking to her mother she didn’t get to start her run until later then she wanted.

Katelyn was running along the border when the metallic scent of blood hit her nose. She stopped and frowned inwardly. She proceeded to the smell carefully in case there was someone waiting to attack. She came up to a clearing and stopped dead in her tracks. Hardly daring to believe what she saw. A young male by the name of Terry was lying in the clearing. He had been torn apart. Katelyn ran up to him and sniffed him, he was gone. She howled and sent a message to her father. She stood guard over her pack member to make sure that no one got to him first. She didn’t know him well but she cared about him. She remembered him as a rascal. He would always be up to trouble, playing pranks of various pack members. He was 14 years old and he was so excited as he made the freshman football team. Tears ran down her muzzle.

*Be strong Katelyn* Nya said to her *The pack can’t see you like this*

Katelyn mentally nodded and tried to hide her emotions away. She had to be strong for her pack. They needed her. A few minutes later her father and several guards burst into the clearing. The guards immediately spread out searching for foreign scents and to protect their alpha and his daughter. Katelyn’s father walked over to her and nuzzled her before turning to the young male. He shook his head sadly and walked behind a tree to change. He came out in a pair of jeans holding a tarp. He carefully wrapped up Terry up in the tarp and sent a message out to all of the pack to meet them at their house. He picked up Terry and started walking back. Katelyn followed behind him in wolf form. She was too upset and didn’t want to change into her human form. It was easier to hide emotions in wolf form.

4 of the guards stayed to investigate while 3 followed the alpha back. They stepped out of the forest and their backyard was full of people. They took one look at the alpha and seen the wrapped bundle he was carrying and several broke down into tears. Holly ran up to her husband and he silently acknowledged her. He walked up to two pack members, Amber and John, Terry’s parents.

“No, alpha no”

“Tell me it’s not him”

“I’m sorry” Was all he could say.

Holly caught Amber as she collapsed to her knees wrapping her arms around her. Holly lowered them to the ground and held Amber as she cried.

“What happened?” John whispered reaching out to touch the tarp.

“We don’t know yet. Katelyn found him and he was already gone. By his scent I would estimate that he had been dead for about an hour and a half by the time she got there.”

John nodded not being able to say anything. The pack doctor came up to them and held out his arms.

“Alpha may I?” George (Katelyn’s father) nodded and handed him the body. Katelyn moved over to Amber and nuzzled her, comforting her the only way she could. Amber wrapped her arms around Katelyn’s neck.

“Thank you, Thank you for finding him” Amber whispered through tears. Katelyn couldn’t say anything. The pack surround them comforting Terry’s parents and each other. Losing a pack member was hard and losing one so young was even harder.

/The next day

Carol walked into Katelyn’s room and found her sitting on her bed staring at the wall. She walked over and sat down beside her. They were dressed in black as the funeral was today.

“What’s wrong?” She asked

Katelyn looked at her. “I can’t help but wonder if I could have stopped it. If I had been home sooner, if I had gone out for a run sooner could I have been there to save him? Would he still have been alive today” Katelyn said crying.

“Oh hunny!” Carol wrapped her arms around Katelyn. “If you were meant to save him you would have, if you were meant to be home sooner you would have. We don’t always know why things happen the way they do but everything happens for a reason. It was just his time”

“but he was only 14”

“I know hun, but sometimes shit just happens and we don’t understand why it happens but it was just his time. He was 14 but did he have a good life for the time he was here?” Carol asked

“Yes, he was a good kid and always had fun pranking people”

“Then that’s all that matters, We never know when our time will be up. No one knows how much time we have on this earth we have to use the time that we do have to its fullest.”

“I know, I just keep wondering if I had been home sooner if I could have done something”

Carol took Katelyn’s face in her hands and brought her eye to eye.

“You can’t blame yourself for his death. It wasn’t your fault. There’s no guarantee that if you had been home sooner you would have been able to do anything. It’s not your fault, don’t take that onto yourself. Don’t remember him as you last saw him. Remember him for the person he was, remember the good things about him. I know it’s hard and it will take some time but you have to keep trying. Every time you think about the negative imagine him smiling at you or pulling a prank. But hunny, don’t take responsibility for his death. That’s not something you can control”

Katelyn nodded and together they got up, got cleaned up and went to the funeral.

Later on that day Katelyn sat in the office with her father while the guards made their reports.

“There was only 1 rogue scent sir”

“1 wolf couldn’t do that to him. He was training and he was one of the fastest members of the pack. So, the rogue had help either from our pack or the other pack. But why attack him?”

They all sat thinking.

“He walked into something he shouldn’t have.” Katelyn said quietly. “That clearing is far away from anything, it’s quiet and not too many people go out there unless they’re on patrol or training.”

George and the guards nodded. “So we either have a traitor from our pack or the Star pack. Before we tell them I want a quiet investigation done. You 4 are my personal family guards, I trust you 4 with our lives. I want 2 of you quietly investigating the pack. Don’t tell anyone what you’re doing. Keep an eye out for trouble and let me know the minute you hear something. Fynn, I want you guarding my daughter at all times but don’t make it obvious I don’t want you raising suspicion. Jace, I want you guarding my wife.”

“What about you dad?”

“I’ll be fine. I’ll try to be home more or in a group. We have other guards I can use but I want you and your mother protected by the best. I don’t know what I would do without you both.” He said wrapping his arms around her. She hugged him back.

A part of her heart broke, She would never know the love of a mate, the love of having a child with him. She rose and walked to her room and looked out the window at people meandering around the house and the street. Her eyes flashing to her midnight blue strength and resolve pumping through her veins. There was a traitor threatening her pack, her friends, her family. She couldn’t bring Terry back but she could make him proud and make sure no one else got hurt.

She would find out who was behind this and what they wanted.  

~~~so there was no Mark in the chapter but I promise he will be back ;) we have to have more then just making Mark jelous :) I will be posting another chapter early next week :) let me know what you think of this one, vote and comment :) ~~~~