eleven / sorority girls

The days had been going by in a similar manner. Will was still in the hospital to monitor his recovery, and the doctors had been fairly pleased with how things had been going. He hadn't regained any feeling below his waist, but some of the physical wounds were healing well.

After it became clear that Will was going to make it through his accident, Evan had chosen to return to school a few days later. His classes weren't weren't waiting for him, and it was important that he get back with the baseball team. Evan needed to get back to his workouts, and their coach had noted that it would provide the team with a greater level of peace if at least one of the two boys were back on the diamond.

Noah had also gone back to his job on the island, but he still made an effort to visit Will when he had time. Koa and Rachel had also returned to work, although Rachel had only gone back part time as she spent a lot of time with Will and an equal amount of time searching for ways to make her newly disabled son's life more bearable.

All of these changes meant that I spent the most time at the hospital with Will, but I didn't mind. Most days I went out surfing in the morning with Alani before going to the hospital as soon as my hair had dried. Showing up with hair dripping with saltwater didn't seem like the kindest thing to do to someone who lost so much to the ocean.

Today it was later than usual, around one by the time I made my way into the hospital after completing my workout and trip to the store. I walked right into Will's room, prepared to toss him a mango that I had bought, when I noticed his company.

Five girls stood huddled around his bed, all dressed in a variety of short denim shorts and crop tops. Three had long, blonde hair and the other two were brunette but still had their fair share of highlights. Their eyelashes were caked with mascara that didn't necessarily look bad, but wasn't my thing.

Thankfully, Will heard the door open and looked over to see me enter. "Hey, Riv."

The other girls looked back and forth between us expectantly before Will seemed to recover his manners. "Oh, uh, sorry. This is River, we grew up together here on the island. River, this is Morgan, Reilly, Alyssa, Lacy, and Kathleen, they're from Alpha Gamma Delta at UH.

I gave them a slight wave, "Nice to meet you all." They nodded to me and went right back to chatting with Will. I slipped into a chair in the corner of the room and observed the conversation.

They certainly seemed plenty interested in him. I couldn't help but wonder how many girls actually flirted with Will while he was away at college. He never made much of it, but there was clearly something going on with at least the sorority girls.

Mostly I tuned out their conversations, but at one point I did hear one idiot ask him, "So, when do you think you will be back to baseball?"

That comment alone made me look up to glare at the girl, but Will managed to stay composed and gave her a smile, saying, "As soon as I can."

The endless flirting was starting to bore me, and I kept hoping that they would leave so we could go back to watching The Office. Jim and Pam's love life was waiting for us, after all. No sooner had I thought this when Will interrupted their conversation.

"Hey, I really appreciate you coming and all, but I have to do some physical therapy and it's something that I'd rather do alone," he said with a look around the room at all of us.

I gave him a smile to hide my slight disappointment and made my way through the hallways back to my car. The girls followed behind me, making loud comments about how cute he was and how much they just wanted to take care of him. My eyes rolled involuntarily as I pulled my buzzing phone out of my pocket as I sat in my car.