Chapter 10

Dean laid Cas softly onto the bed, trying to splay his wings out so they weren't tucked crookedly under him. He slowly unbuttoned Cas' bloodied shirt and pulled the material out, leaving his chest bare. Dean ran a hand over his skin, feeling the warmth and shallow breaths Cas was taking. He went to the bathroom and wet a cloth to clean the wound. As he was gently wiping the blood off of his body, Sam walked into the room.

"Dean."

"He's gonna be fine Sammy."

"I don't understand why we can't take him to a hospital. It makes more-"

"No!" Dean pointed the bloody rag at Sam. "Cas told me to bring him here and wait. I think he shut himself down so his grace could heal him. But we're gonna sit here and wait." He turned back to the unconscious man and continued caring for his wound.

Sam looked painfully at his brother and the way he was quickly falling apart. He'd never seen Dean so distraught over something and so emotional. "Alright. I'm going to get some food."

Dean placed the rag on the bedside table and pulled a chair right up next to Cas. He shakily held one of his hands and gingerly rubbed circles into the man's cheek. "I'll watch over you now," he whispered to him.

Days passed and Cas' state had not improved. Dean continued to clean his wound and refused to leave his spot beside the bed. Sam would bring him food and Dean would push it away mumbling he wasn't hungry. "But you have to eat," Sam would say and Dean would shout back to leave him the hell alone goddammit.

Dean would sit there with his hand clutching Cas' and the other threading through his wings. Dean loved to sit there and glide his fingertips over the soft feathers, but he'd frown as they showed him no response. He would sit there for hours retelling stories of hunts or his favorite memories with Cas. Sometimes he would choke up and cry silently into Cas' side. When he slept, which was hardly ever, Dean would use Cas' thigh or chest as a pillow. He'd sleep for a few hours before nightmarish images of a dead angel would jolt him awake. He couldn't sleep as peacefully as he had that one night. Not while his protective wings were out of commission.

Dean would trace circles and lines across Cas' chest when he got bored. Sam would come in with more food and watch sadly as Dean barely even nibbled on it. Sam would also bring in a bottle of whiskey every so often and leave before Dean could drain the whole thing. He'd listen to Dean humming nonsense to Cas as he rubbed the exhaustion from his face. Sam tried to let Dean have his alone time with Cas but often found himself standing in the hallway and listening to his storytelling. Sam would frown and sit alone in the library with his thoughts. He knew Dean loved Cas, and he knew that if the angel didn't wake up he'd lose his brother too.

On a particularly hard night, Dean found himself sobbing very loudly into in hands. "I can't do it without you Cas. You have to wake up. You have to come back. We need you here. I need you. I always need you. Nothing could hurt as much as losing you and my chest is so tight I can't fucking breathe. Please Cas! I'm begging you-no I'm praying to you Castiel to wake the hell up. Please!" He stared at Cas, waiting for his blue eyes to flutter open and his wings to stretch achingly. But there was nothing. Dean sobbed a few more times before cupping his angel's face and placing a gentle kiss to his unresponsive lips. He then buried his face into Cas' neck and fell asleep against his chest.

Dean dreamt of nothing. He slept through the entire night, and when he woke he felt happily cozy. He twirled his finger over Cas' chest and kissed his shoulder. He moved to get up but found there was something holding him in place. He gasped as the feeling of relief and love flooded over him. He glanced behind him and smiled at the wings crossed behind his back. "Cas," he whispered. The feathers shook at his name and reached out to comfort Dean. They wrapped tightly around him and seemed to be rubbing his back as if they knew he was sad. Dean looked at his angel and frowned at the sleeping expression. His wings had awoken and sprung to life, but Cas still had yet to.

"No, Sam I'm telling you. I woke up this morning and it was gone. It was there when I fell asleep and now it's not," Dean said pointing at where the blade wound should've been. There was no longer a gashing hole in Cas' stomach. It looked like there hadn't been anything wrong in the first place.

"And you said his wings started moving yesterday?"

"Yes. Again, I woke up and they were just flappin' away happy as can be. I think he's going to wake up soon."

"Let's hope. I need to make a run are you hungry?" Sam knew the answer was no, but he had to ask anyway.

"Oh I'm starving. Biggest fattest cheeseburger you can get me. Pronto." Sam looked shocked at his brother who was smiling down at Cas. There he is, he thought.

Dean felt himself faltering as more days passed and nothing happened. It had been almost two weeks since he dragged the angel into his bed, and he wouldn't wake up. Cas' wings kept twitching in annoyance and fluttering restlessly. They too wanted him to wake up. Dean would whisper words of encouragement in his ear as the wings would wrap around him. They liked to keep Dean close to Cas and wouldn't stop pulling him in.

On the night of the day that marked two weeks, Dean had already kissed Cas goodnight before making a pillow of his hip. He watched the angel's sleeping face before his own sleep consumed him. Sometime in the night, Dean felt a soft hand against his face and leaned into the touch. His eyes suddenly flew open as his face was met with a warm stomach. He slowly sat up as he met Cas' sad blue eyes. "Cas?" he whispered.

"Hello Dean," he rasped out.

Dean breathed something of relief and happiness as he tackled Cas into a hug. He grasped at Cas' hair and pressed his body completely against the others. "I never thought you'd wake up," he cried into his ear.

"I am awake," Cas said while rubbing his back. He pressed his forehead into Dean's shoulder and gracefully wrapped his wings around them. They brushed and flapped against Dean's back, making him hold onto Cas tighter.

"I missed you," Dean mumbled.

"I know, I know. I heard every single word you spoke and felt every one of your touches. Your love helped my grace be enough."

Dean pulled away from him. "You could hear? And feel?"

Cas placed his hand under Dean's chin and rubbed his thumb over the skin. "Everything," he whispered before closing the gap again. The kiss was chaste and everything Dean wanted in his life. Their lips molded together perfectly as they became more needy in their movements. Dean tangled his hands in Cas' unruly hair and whimpered as Cas cupped his cheeks. They both pulled apart to breath and rested their heads on each other's shoulders.

"I love you Dean Winchester."

"I love you too Cas."

Cas' wings twittered in affection as they wrapped around Dean in an everlasting embrace.