#08

Matthew was an absolute mess when he practically burst into Eli's dimly lit hospital room. His hair was even more wild than usual and there was actual panic in his eyes. Which Eli thought was funny, considering the idiot never panicked when he was the one who got shot, stabbed, or otherwise injured.

"I'm okay," Eli said before Matthew could ask. He figured it would be best to let him know he wasn't dying. Granted he was right there. Then again, Matthew had a tendency to overreact when Eli was in trouble.

"You have a concussion." The way Matthew said it, one would think it was Eli's first concussion.

"I mean, it's like my third one," Eli couldn't help but point out.

Matthew just sighed, looking exhausted, and walked over to Eli. His eyes swept over him, lingering on the growing bruise on the redhead's face. Eli really just wanted Matthew to stop staring at him. It wasn't like he was the one regularly getting stabbed.

"I'm sorry," Matthew said, snapping Eli out of his thoughts. "For not being there," he added, as if Eli didn't know him well enough to know what he was talking about.

"I don't expect you to be around me all the time." Eli didn't think he'd like it if Matthew actually followed him everywhere. "And honestly, it'd be pretty creepy if you were." Matthew's lips twitched, like he wanted to laugh but was too upset to actually do so. After a moment, he just sighed and pulled the sole chair in the room closer to the bed before sitting.

"The doctor wants to keep you overnight," Matthew said after a moment.

"Of course," Eli muttered, not happy in the least. It had been much the same the last time he'd been in the hospital. Granted, he'd been shot that time. Still, a hospital stay was definitely one of the worst things about getting mugged. Especially because all that had been taken was twenty dollars and Eli's bus pass—which was honestly more valuable than the money because those things were freaking expensive.

"Oh, and your mom is coming to check on you."

"What?" Eli was glad he was already in a hospital, because that could have given him a heart attack. Also, a hospital stay was officially the second worst part about getting mugged.

"She's worried about you. Maybe because you keep getting hit over the head." Honestly, he said it like it was a daily occurrence.

"Okay, but how is her coming here helping?"

"Well, she's your mom, so I'm pretty sure it's not so much about helping and more about making sure you're okay. And I mean, you do get into a lot of trouble. Like, a lot."

"Oh, and you don't?"

"I do it for the greater good and in pursuit of justice." Clearly, Matthew was feeling better about things if he could say something that stupid.

"You do it because you like having a fanclub," Eli shot back.

"That's just a very nice bonus," Matthew had a small smile now, and Eli figured that was a good thing. Even if it meant he was back to being incredibly annoying. "Don't worry, she won't be here until tomorrow, so you have a couple more hours to brace yourself." Eli didn't appreciate the gleeful tone in Matthew's voice. Clearly, he was enjoying Eli's suffering.

"Okay, but where is she staying? Because we have a distinct lack of extra space and a couple things we really need to keep her from finding out." Mostly Matthew's habit of going out to beat up criminals.

"You mean you want to keep our love a secret?" Matthew asked, looking absolutely scandalized in a very soap opera-esque way. Eli could just picture him clutching at some pearls.