Chapter 42

Third Person P.O.V

Virata King get ready for the battle against Susharma, in his heart he knew that without Keechaka, his Kingdom is vulnerable but he can't show it on his face. He has to protect his Kingdom even if it means dying in the war. Within the hour, the Matsya army gathered at the city-gates, foot-soldiers, horsemen, chariots and elephants. The King took his place in the leading chariot, at the head of his own army after so long; for it was always Keechaka who led the Matsyas to war. Kanka the gambler appeared at his elbow and said quietly, "My lord, I know how to fight, from horseback or a chariot. I can wield a bow and a sword. Let me ride with you".

The King cried, "Sataneeka, give Kanka a chariot, armor and weapons!"

The gambler said, "Your cook Ballava and Damagranthi and Tantripala, too, are fine warriors. They will be glad of this chance to repay your kindness to them."

Virata said, "Let them be given weapons and chariots. With these four around me I am sure to win the day!"

Kanka was pleased. As they rode out, Yudhishtira told his brothers, "Susharma is a great kshatriya and Virata may well need our help. But stay behind and remember who you are meant to be. Use no astras unless there is dire need and I tell you to". The Matsya force overtook the Trigarta army quickly, since the enemy was slow because of the cattle they had lifted. Moreover, Susharma was eager to avenge himself on Virata and went at his ease. Battle was joined and men fell in thousands. Susharma was surprised. With Keechaka dead, he had not expected such resistance from the Matsyas. The fray was fiercer than either Virata or Kanka had thought. Then Kanka took charge of the Matsya legion. Expertly he formed Virata's warriors into fighting formation: a Garuda vyuha, an eagle phalanx of which only the greatest Senapatis are masters. Kanka had studied the secrets of the vyuhas of battle with Bheeshma and Drona.

At the end of the day, Matysa Kingdom fought with fierceness and they won the battle against Susharma with the help of pandavas. The King sent word of their victory back to his palace. He ordered musicians and dancing-girls brought out and food and wine for all his soldiers. The next day, with the sun, he would re-enter his city in triumph.

Soon the drinking, singing and dancing were underway and the feasting, as well, for they all had a great appetite after the day's battle. Cooks' fires blazed up all over the camp and the mighty Ballava, when he was not seated at Virata's side, flitted from fire to fire, to ensure the king's meat was done to a turn.  

Prakriti P.O.V

Next day, we heard the news that Matsya has won the battle against Trigarta. I smiled internally, when you have leader like Elder Brother, power like Brother Bheem and fierce warrior like twins, you are opt to win any battle you get into. I was happy that my family could help Virata King for what he has done to us in the past year. He has provided us home, gave us respect, this is the least we can do for him and his Kingdom. I was sitting with Uttara in the dancing hall and Prince Uttar was showing his musical skills by playing Veena for us. Arya was standing beside Uttar with a smile on his face. When we arrived here, Uttar never wanted to learn music and dance because he thought only woman do this and he wanted to focus in his fighting skills. When Arya make him understand the importance of arts and told him that even World's greatest archer like Arjuna play Veena then Prince Uttar showed his interest in the instrument and now he can play well. Just then a cowherd entered in the hall with a frantic look on his face "The Kuru army invaded us! They lifted sixty thousand cattle. Your father always says what a fine kshatriya you are; this is your chance to prove him right. Hurry, Uttar Kumar, rescue our herd!" he cried bowing his head towards Younger Prince. I suddenly stood up from the seat, my fist clenched.

Kuru are here!

Arya looked at me and widened his eyes, I sighed and closed my eyes to control the emotions surfacing forward. Prince Uttar put aside his veena. He rose solemnly and he was truly a fine-looking young man. Glancing into a mirror on the wall as he spoke, he said grandly, "I will come to rout the Kuru host!" He paused. "But how shall I ride without a sarathy?" He started telling his war stories about him and his sarathy and how his sarathy dies in the battle. I sighed, that boy is lying through his teeth, how will he fight the Kuru's like this. An idea came in my head. I quickly put Princess Uttara away "The Matsya herd can be saved. I have a sarathy for your brother" I said to her, she looked confused.