Chapter 3

"While the casting of charms and other spells requires a tremendous grasp of willpower and concentration, as well as precise wand movements and incantations, the art of brewing potions requires another level of patience and precision"

~~~~~~~

The tension on the surface of the liquid broke and gave a little explosion.
Evelyn jumped away from it and cursed at the disappointed result of the hard potion she had been brewing.
"Just a little mistake in the doses and the potion is wasted" a female voice ringed at her back "Like with anything else, I guess".
Evelyn welcomed the young witch with a smile "Like people too?".
"Like marriages" she specified with a sigh "Poor Eileen ended up into a wrong marriage, that was like a badly brewed potion. Just one wrong drop and everything can be wasted. But let me help".
Evelyn stiffened, thinking at how to protect her own marriage, but smiled, letting the younger woman take control of the potion.
"I'm glad you're here, Dorcas. I couldn't survive if I lost both you and Eileen, the two best potioners here".

Dorcas Meadowes was a bright witch, having her in the hospital had turned essential. She had a precious talent with potions that Evelyn could just envy.
"I'm not going anywhere, unless the boss forces me to. Don't worry about the potions. I'll deal with them. There's..." Dorcas hesitated to find the right word "...your friend who is looking for you".
"Which friend?".
"Your husband's uncle".
Evelyn failed to suppress a bad face. She thanked the young potioneer again and walked out the room.

She heard commotion in the corridor and for a moment she froze, her mind recalling a nasty accident that happened to her many years earlier.
She blinked that bad memory away and focused on the new victim, carried on a floating stretcher.
"Another attack?" she asked nervously to a fellow healer who was accompanying the small procession.
The wizard just nodded heavily and walked passed her.

"The suprematists are growing stronger" a nasty voice attracted her attention "You should take back your maid surname. Or take mine if you wish".
Evelyn scowled at Morfin, pointing at her tag on her uniform "I'm proud to wear this one for now".
"Even if it's dangerous" he sighed and showed what his hands were holding.
"Your dose of snakes' fangs" Morfin offered her the box "From a rare vyper".
"Thanks" she said rigidly "About rarities, did you give my son a niffler recently?".
The wizard's jaw dropped at her blunt question "He's a bright boy. It's hard to say no to him".
"You are into the Creatures Department and you break the rules to make a boy happy?".
"Richard could have been our son" Morfin teased back "I'm surprised that he has inherited all Slytherin's skills. The muggle blood didn't infect him as I feared".
Evelyn scowled at him "Take your niffler back. If you give my son another creature without my permissions, I'll report you to the Ministry".
The old man nodded like a tamed pet "Yes, Evy. As you wish".
"I don't trust to give the niffler back to you. I'll come with you to pay a visit to you department".
Morfin looked taken aback again "Are you not busy with the slaughtered mudbloods?".
"You should be more worried about you, who could end up slaughtered too" she hissed and accompanied him out, removing her uniform before exiting the hospital.
"I got it. I won't deal with your boy anymore" Morfin promised with more confidence.

They walked together to the ministry.
Evelyn slowed down only in front of the building.
"It's not as bad as it seem" Morfin tried to comfort her, but she never liked that place and she had a lot to complain about how the government was dealing with the riots and the attacks.
When they reached level 4, Evelyn felt disoriented.
"Already back, blood traitor?" Morfin addressed a younger wizard, who stopped to glare at him.
"Control your tongue, Gaunt. You are no boss here. I had to come back for extra work. Also, there's still a niffler still missing...".
"I think I can help with that" Evelyn intervened showing the cage she was carrying.
"Finally. Thanks" the wizard said with deep relief "Sorry, I didn't introduce myself. I'm Amos Diggory".
Morfin didn't hide a disgusted face as the younger wizard shook Evelyn's hand in front of him "Don't you have a puppy to look after now? Leave the beasts to me".
Diggory looked shocked by his rudeness "Don't you dare mentioning my son in that unrespectful way. He's innocent".
Morfin rolled his eyes "Yes, until you'll raise him to become another blood traitor".
"Forgive his sharp tongue" Evelyn intervened with an apologizing smile "I know how he can say anything to provoke others".
"I'm aware of that" Diggory shot her an exasperated look and chuckled.
"So you have a son?" she questioned to find some more enjoyable topic.
The young wizard smiled like the happiest mam on earth "Yes. He is just one week old".
"That's amazing. Congratulations" she said with entusiasm "I have a son too. He's at Hogwarts now".
"You must be proud of him".
"Yes, of course. Very" she said quickly before the fear of the event could petrify her "As you must be of yours".
Diggity nodded "Being parents in these dark days is not easy".
"It is easier if you learn to stop being a blood traitor" Morfin spat.
The witch glared at him, then offered a wide smile to Diggory "Well, I have to back to work now. Thanks for the help".
"Thanks to you" he pointed at the niffler "You saved the day".
Evelyn smirked at the beast. It was all so crazy that she wished to laugh hard at it. The niffler had tried to steal Slytherin's ring, the same ring that Morfin was wearing and that the niffler just ignored because the beast knew that it was just a useless copy. And Morfin never suspected anything.
She scowled one last time at Morfin and quickly left the building.