CHAPTER 7

As the sun sat between the mountain range, its rays that blazed down the busy street began to vanish. A beautifully adorned carriage stopped infront of the open doors of the royal palace. The King and the Crown Prince stepped out as the servants lined up to welcome them. Both retired to their respective rooms as it has been a long day.

A knock was heard at the door and the crown prince allowed the person to enter.

"Greetings, your royal highness!", his aide extolled.

"Stop the formalities, will you, Rand? I'm so tired of it", the Crown prince uttered while lying down the couch.

"Alright. Alright", Rand chuckled as he approached and sat on the chair next to the prince.

"Do you have anything to report?", the crown prince looked at Rand with curiosity.

Rand flinched as he heard those words. Everytime he verbalize that question, he meant to know about Lady Elin, his brother's fiancee. Rand didn't know how to break the news to him. He bit his lip till it bled.

"Why aren't you saying anything, Rand?", the prince sat up as he felt something was definitely wrong.

"Tell me. NOW!", he raised his voice as he commanded Rand to speak.

"Lady Elin is dead", Rand spoke immediately as he sensed the prince anger.

A frightening atmosphere began to overwhelm the room. The crown prince exuded mana of great pressure enough to crush an ordinary person's lungs. His eyes darkened as if screaming with pain. His expression distorted, ready to kill someone.

Chill ran down his spine as Rand stared at the Crown prince. One step and his life will be claimed.

"Your Highness, Please! Calm! Down!", Rand shouted but the prince didn't even budge.

"If you don't stop now, EDRIC, I won't hand you the letter the Lady wrote to you", Rand declared hoping that the Prince will cease immediately.

Prince Edric stopped at once and grab Rand's shoulders. He looked at Rand with an inconsolable expression.

"But before that, you have to hear me out", Rand gestured the prince to sit down and listen to the news. Edric calmed down and sat drooping his head.

"Two days before, there was a commotion here at the Royal palace. Prince Ansel accused Lady Elin for tormenting Lady Lilith", Rand reported.

"He did WHAT?", Edric yelled. Rand raised his hand to stop the Crown prince to speak any further.

"Lady Elin was about to walk towards Prince Ansel but the prince assumed that she was going to attack Lady Lilith. He unsheathed his sword as a fair warning to her but Lady Elin was stabbed instead", Rand's expression saddened. Prince Edric just stared into space waiting for more devastating news.

"Her ladyship was imprisoned in the dungeon. But yesterday, a fire broke out and she was---", Prince Edric gestured him stop. He cannot bear hearing what happened next for he clearly knew the outcome.

He opened his hand signaling Rand to hand out the letter. Rand instantly handed him the letter, bowed out of courtesy and went outside to give Edric some privacy.

Edric gripped the letter. He cannot believe what happened while he was away from her. He always felt that Elin would disappear soon. She always put a barrier between her and the people she meet. It was as if her very presence was temporary.

He slowly opened the letter and read through the content. Edric gritted his teeth. He took a deep breath as he was close to crying.

To my dear friend Prince Edric,

How have you been, your Royal Highness? I hope you're doing well this past few days.

I entrusted this letter to your most trustworthy friend, Sir Rand. I instructed him to give you this letter if something unfortunate happens to me. 

By the time you read this letter, it means that I'm gone. I was really hoping this letter will not be delivered to you.

Please don't get angry at him. He is just concerned of your well-being. You tend to do your job too well that you forget to take care of yourself most of the time.

I just wanted to thank you for standing by my side when things get rough. I know I'm one of those people everyone replaces after a while. But you stayed and walk the path with me.

You helped me realize that a bitter truth is better than a sweet lie. I didn't regret my past but I'm remorseful for wasting my time with the wrong people. It hurts when you realize you're not as important to them as you thought you were.

But you know what?
How lucky I am to have you. So when I depart, please remember me and smile for I let everything go and I am finally free.

Your friend,
Lady Elin of Vand

"I'm.

SORRY, ELIN!", a crack in his voice was heard when he slumped against the couch. Tears fell down his cheeks spilling out all the emotions he had and words he can never speak.