Chapter Thirty

By the time Agrelind and Solaire had begun gathering their armies the next morning for their debriefing, Queen Beatrice, in her fourth week of regency, had already completed preparations of her own.

The Succubus descended the jet-black steps to the castle and panned her gaze over the crowded plaza. She stopped for just a moment and took a deep breath, filling her nostrils with the smog of the city as she savored the moment. Generals of armies hailing from all over Alysia, either already pledged to the Darkness by heritage or recently recruited to the Dryrian faction, stood in discussion with one another; the typically Vampire-dominated space was now bustling with peoples of all creeds ready for war. Everything was weaving together so perfectly.

One General stood out from the rest at the base of the stairs. Donning full armor, he extended a gloved hand for his Queen. She met his eyes, her lips curling upwards in a satisfied grin as she continued downwards to meet him, her full robes in tow behind her.

"My Queen," General Bion greeted, his voice low and charming.

"General Bion," Beatrice returned with equal aplomb, slipping her fingers lightly on top of his. He helped her slowly onto the cobblestone pavement and accompanied her as she began strolling towards the center of the square.

"Have all the preparations been made?" he asked. "I must say, it was quite a marvelous idea to gather the Succubi and Incubi slaves as well. I was already quite aware of their advantage of flight, but I had no idea that they had such superior fighting skills."

Beatrice hummed. "You'd be surprised what people can pick up from the dregs of civilization," she mused idly. "... Of course, they are not enough. What of Dark Elf kingdom in the East?"

"Theriveth?" the General echoed. "Yes, their arrival is expected later today. I've seen to it that we are ready to receive them."

"Good. When they arrive, put them with the Alchemists and Lightning Mages. With their proficiency in Dark Magic, I wouldn't have them put anywhere else."

"Very well." Bion pulled a clipboard and quill from behind. "Is that all?"

Beatrice pondered for a moment. "Yes," she replied confidently. "We will leave tomorrow."

After making note of her orders, the General tucked the pen and board in his belt once more and stopped in the center. "Hold on. You still haven't told me of your grand plans to summon the Demons, let alone get them to fight for us. If no battle since the beginning of the Light and Darkness had provoked the presence of the Demons, what is it exactly that makes you think that you can entice them out of hiding now?"

She let out an exasperated sigh and turned towards him. "Oh, fine already," she said. "If it means you'll stop pestering me about it. I suppose it's just about the right time anyway."

She looked over each shoulder to make sure that nobody else was listening; but, then again, she didn't really care. If she was going to say it, it might as well be out loud. She wanted everyone to know. Lowering her voice anyway, she continued, "Okay. So you said that they would only come out of their hiding if the balance of life, or whatever, is seriously shifted, right?"

Bion furrowed his brow. "I did."

"That's exactly my plan."

"And...?"

Beatrice rolled her eyes. "And, if we manage to threaten the well-being of Alysia itself, and therefore the balance, then the Demons will have no choice but to intervene. Then, with the right Black Magic, we can get them to do our bidding. I've read into it- well, looked at the pictures in the books anyway- and there is a voodoo spell that, with the blood of a monarch and a simple recitation, can secure the mind of any adherent of Abaddonia to ensure their loyalty. That's how I plan on drawing them out."